Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:58 PM   #21

Originally Posted by rienz View Post
From the little experiance I have, I find Tamron optics are better then the equivalent Sigma lenses. I say this because I've used Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 & Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ... Tamron optics were better.
Also used Sigma 105 f/2.8 Macro & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 ... once again Tamron was better.
But when it comes to build quality Sigma is a clear winner over Tamron.
One more but ... the exterior of Sigma lenses have a habit of attracting dust (especially the lens hood) wheras Tamron doesn't seem to have this problem (this is not really a big issue but I like to have my lenses looking clean and shiney) ... on the other hand Tamron lenses have "cheap plasticy" kind of look about them - IMO
Right now I'm about the happiest person on earth. I started talking to this guy last night about his craigslist ad. He was selling his d50+kit 18-55mm for $250 but I lowered it down to $180 which Is what I was going to pay for just the d50 body from the other guy. What I'm going to do is buy this d50 kit and sell the lens for hopefully $100 which means I just got a d50 body with low actuations for $80.
NoFlashPhotography is offline   Reply With Quote