Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:19 AM   #1
Default Digital filter or standard

Is there a reason to buy a Digital filter for a digital camera or can I use a normal one?

After searching, I thought I should buy the Hoya 58mm PRO1 Digital UV Filter for my new fujifulm HS10 mainly because of the very good reviews on amazon. I was told by a camera buff that it is not necessary and a normal UV filter at less than half the price will do. Is this true?
megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:23 AM   #2

I'm not sure what he's calling a "normal" filter. Does he mean just a hoya HMC or an off brand? What I've tried to look at on filters is the multi coating, which impact how much light comes through and the thickness of the filter glass & frame itself. The best UV filters will allow 97 to 99% light transmission, which gives you the effect you want with the least amount of negative impact on the shot due to loss of light. If I remember correctly, the Pro1 has 99% light transmission, which is the best available. I chose the Hoya HD for similar reasons (97% light transmission) and because of the thickness of the filter itself. My philosophy is that I would rather make sure I'm getting maximum performance from my expensive lenses by using the highest quality filter. Of course, many on Steve's would argue you shouldn't use a filter at all.
jdnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:38 AM   #3

Thank you for your explanation. I think I might as well go for the Pro1 - it seems to be unanimous with everything that I have read so far!
megabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:49 AM   #4

I use the pro 1, mainly because there was a link on this site to a review of various filters showing the same shot taken with various filters and the Hoya Pro1 digital scored very high, if not the highest.
After all if your'e going to spend good money on a lens it makes sense to put a decent filter on it.
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote