Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:37 PM   #1

Default The Carry Speed FV-3 Viewfinder/Sunshade

Having used a variety of sunshade and optical sunshade/viewfinders, I recently had the opportunity to get a Carry Speed FV-3 unit to use on a number of my dSLR's and my DP2 Merrill. I am very pleased with both the build, functionality and usefulness of this tool. First, a little about the reasons why such a device is not only useful, but indispensable in using an LCD to do fine focus, see the menus or carefully frame when shooting from a tripod with the sun at your back.

In the past I've used Hoodman, Photosolve's Xtend-a-View and other assorted viewfinders including the very expensive Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 2.5x. Of these, only the Zacuto and Carry Speed FV-3 have a true diopter adjustment which, because of changes in my vision over the years, I find very helpful.

The Carry Speed FV-3 is pretty much a one size fits all for three inch LCD's. The fit on my Sigma DP2 Merrill isn't "perfect," because of a 7.8 mm gap between the LCD and the rubber protective "boot" on the device, but functionally, it performs perfectly and the designer is working with me to possibly make modifications to make it a perfect fit.

The device has a large, rubber eye-cup which is reversible so that it can be used equally well for those with left or right eye preferences. It has a built-in, switch activated "cap" which blocks all light from entering and falling on the LCD when the device is not in active use. It has huge adjustments so that it fits nearly any dSLR and I believe it can be very useful even for those who have cameras like the Sony RX100 who need to shoot from a tripod for ultimate video quality. If used with an RX100, however, one must remove the camera from the tripod, then remove the FV-3 base-plate from the camera to gain access to the battery and SD card. This only takes a few seconds, but is somewhat inconvenient. With my Sigma DP 2 Merrill this is not necessary as the battery and SD card compartment is fully accessible with the FV-3 mounted and on the tripod.

The unit has a "hinge" midways which allows the optical portion to be flipped up out of the way for use as a sunshade only. The diopter is activated by a large knurled ring which encircles the barrel of the unit. Mounting to the camera is via the tripod mount and there are three replacement threads on the bottom of the base-plate to accommodate additional tripod and accessories. The base-plate also serves as an Arca Swiss mount so if you use that type everything works seamlessly with your tripod. Below is a link to the Carry Speed store where you can watch several videos about this unit. Also there are images of the FV-3 mounted with my Sigma DP2 Merrill on my tripod.

I'm quite impressed with this solution, and as I said, the designer has been very helpful and is working toward a seamless "cosmetic" solution for my DP2 Merrill - can't ask for more!

Best regards,

Lin
http://www.carryspeed.com/products/lcd-view-finder

Last edited by Lin Evans; Jan 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:45 AM   #2

Interesting post, very informative, didn't even know there were things like that on the market. Will admit that when I clicked on the post I was expecting to see something about a camera strap. Bet you can tell what I have been looking for on the net.