Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Aug 7, 2005, 6:12 PM   #11

PeterP wrote:
I'm currently looking for a polarizer for my lens with the largest intake, which is 105mm.
So far I only found 1 manufacturer and the stores want close to 400$cdn for it.
Here is one:

I am looking for a slim 77mm polarizer at the moment, and can't decide between:

B+W Slim
B+W Kaesemann MRC Slim
Hoya Thin SUPER-HMC Pro 1

Would it help to have one with front thread? I don't intend to stack on my wide angle, but what about the lens caps?
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:31 AM   #12

I have used the Hoya Thin SUPER-HMC Pro 1 UV filter. It is an excellent UV filter compared to other double coated UV filters. However, the filter is make by Tokina of Japan not Hoya. I hope this information will help!

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 12:15 AM   #13

Im in the market for a circ. polorizer too. What I want to know is I have a10d and the lens I want to put the filter on is a 17mm, but since its on the 10d it crops like about a 28mm. My question is, will a slim filter be nessasary since the lens crops liek a 28 and not a 17? I'm assuming that a regualr polorizer will work fine and wont vignette? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
jl0gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 7:42 PM   #14

For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on filters:

1. Stick with name brands like Hoya, B+W, Schneider. I recently tried Heliopan but was greatly distressed to find the black paint wearing off after I unscrewed a close-up filter off afteronly a few times. No such problem with my B+W filters, which seem to be painted with a much more durable material. The major brands are known for their QC. You canfind bargain basement prices for off-brand filters on ebay, but why would you spend $$$ on your fine quality optics only to take a risk of introducing distortion with poor quality filters?

2. I haven't found a need to buy the new, trendy "slim" filters madeby Hoya, B+W, and others. My widest lens is a NIkon 12-24/4G that I regularly use with my D70s. Although the lens seller pushed a B+W "superslim" filter, I bought the regular one (which was also the cheapest one) and have not experienced vignetting in any shooting to date. So if I don'tsee any vignettingon such a wide angle lens with a regular filter attached, I doubt you will see any vignettingon your typical zoom or prime lens with regular filter attached. I think I might buy one if I ever buy a 6mm fisheye lens. Also, keep in mind these slim filters often don't have a front thread, which is useful for keeping your cap lockedin place.

3. Use a step-up ring but never the reverse. I use a 69-77 step up ring to use commonly available filters on my Leica Digilux 2. (Until Helipan recently introduced their line of 69mm filters, there was no other alternative.) Using a step-down ring is an invitation to serious vignietting.
amateurdabbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:52 AM   #15

I got the filter adapter for my Minolta DiMage Z1 and found it uses 52mm filters, and that's the same size my Canon AE-1's 50mm lens used. Unfortunately, I didn't already have a polarizer, and didn't find out that my dad has one (for his AE-1 Program) until AFTER I bought a Tiffen circular polarizer for $40 at a store in southeastern Michigan.

I'm happy with the Tiffen so far. It costs 2 stops, but the Fall colors really pop against a darkened blue sky.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote