Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:41 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask about digital projectors. I need one to be used in a medium size hall.

Has anyone tried any yet? Any suggestions at all?

Thanks for any help in advance

Greetings from

frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 10:47 AM   #2

Define "medium sized hall".

There are a lot of issues with projectors. for instance some project straight ahead while others when sitting level will project up 15 degrees; good for a high screen, not good for a small room...in a room where the screen is only 6foot tall the latter projector would have to sit on the floor.

Our camera club uses one which does project upwards, and is for a 180 seat theatre which is normally used for slide projection:

If I had our digital projector up in that booth (where the photo was taken from) it would litterally fill the screen from top to bottom and we would have to angle the projector downwards to compensate for the angled projection (it would be better mounted on the ceiling upside down to compensate for that issue...we actually have the digital projector on a home built angled stand sitting on a table in the middle of the isle when we use it; keystoning is a large issue when doing this, but there's enough adjustment on the projector to compensate.

Guess the things to look for would be adjustable zoom for the room size you need, adjustable light level (are you planning to leave some room lights on, or turn all off), auto keystone would be nice. There's also several projector technologies...some are better for crisp detail, while others are more for TV type projection.

Some projector manufacturers have software for calculating room size for a particular projector as well as where to position the projector for a particular screen size.

The one problem that no one has been able to solve afordably is how to calibrate colour on a digital projector...it's not that expensive to do it on monitors (CRT or LCD) and printers, but to get a calibrator for a digital projector expect to spend $1500 just for that:

Some general projector links:
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:12 PM   #3

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply and links that I'll show to my partner later.

Hegives talks about his trips to South America to branches of the British Cactus & Succulent Society. He usually uses 35 mm slides to illustrate the talks and has his own projector (a Braun I believe) for this. He has just returned from a trip to Chile with lots of digital images, but, for the first time,left his SLR slide camera at home, so that a digital projector is needed. Images range from landscapes, through plants (cacti) to close ups of flowers and were taken with Nikon D70 and Coolpix 995 cameras.

Audiences are 10 - 50 people and meetings are usually held in typical UK church / village halls. Light exclusion can be variable and, while some of these talks are held on sunny summer afternoons, others take place during dark winter nights with all lights switched off.

He says he wants an XGA projector and that hisbudget of upto GBP 1,000 (say US$ 1,500), will limit the brightness of the bulb and the range of features on offer.

This is very much a hobby activity, so no 'invest up front to reap the rewards later' purchase.

Hope this helps.

Greetings from

frailea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4

Mikefellh has said a lot, so I will only add a little bit.

Color correctness is a serious issue. A related issue is how it handles light/dark. I show with a group that gets around 30-40 people every 2 months. One of the projectors that we use has serious trouble with dark areas. They are just too dark. This is a multi-thousand professional projector used by a AV business. But it just doesn't do dark well.

So no matter what you get, you should make sure they let you try it out (or allow for a return without a charge.) And show a variety of pictures... different brightnesses and colors.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:36 PM   #5

frailea123 wrote:
Audiences are 10 - 50 people and meetings are usually held in typical UK church / village halls.
For smaller audiences, a large TV screen is a good alternative, using a digital camera's 'AV' or 'TV' output. It needn't be a huge screen, just an ordinary, surprisingly cheap, big modern telly.

If you acquire the 20ukpound shareware package "TVWriter" from David Taylor at www.satsignal.net(in Edinburgh), you can prepare a complete presentation, to inflict on anyone with a TV.There's a free demo version, which puts a banner on the images.

Thank goodness politicians & salesmen haven't noticed the possibilities - a complete manifestoor sales pitch in a pocket-sized camera, to be shown to anyone with a TV with a SCART or AV input, i.e., almost everyone. For a couple of years I've been describing this as a poor man's lecture theatre video projector.TVWriter will take ANY jpeg image, including for example, screen capture from a wordprocessor,and render it rapidly into a jpeg suitable for copying to a camera's memory card, and playing back to a TV via the 'AV out'.

It works for many different cameras (all three that I have owned). You have to use the correct naming convention and folder structure into which to put the images, but otherwise it's easy. The quality won't be up to the best video projectors, but it'll be better than some multi-thousand pound jobs I've seen, for a fraction of the cost, even if you have to buy a new pocket digital compact with an AV output (about £100).

Good luck!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:01 AM   #6

I too am looking for a good Spec projector and have just found the new

ACER PD 523 wnich is less than £1000 (Simply Computers and some others) has 2000: 1 contrast, max 2000 brightness, DLP technology, 2000 hrs lamp life. All in all an excellent spec regardless of price. Also 1024 x 768 native res.

BUT,and there has to be one - the renewal lamps presently cost c£360. There are no reviews yet but the previous model was much praised.
aatom is offline   Reply With Quote