Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:16 AM   #1

I have a new camera with PictBridge capability but my HP Photosmart is too old for that function. Does anyone make a PictBridgeto USB adapter for printers w/o PictureBridge? Also, who offers an adapter from Secure Digital memory to compact flash or smart media.
JPoldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2004, 6:58 PM   #2

They're around (SD to CompactFlash Adapters, not Pictbridge adapters). But, IMO, you're wasting your money. Here is one that will adapt your SD to CompactFlash:

Why do I think you'd be wasting your money? Well, it's much easier to use your PC for sending photos to your printer. Simply use the HP Photo Printing Software that shipped with your Photosmart. You can select the photos you want printed, select a template, etc., then send them to the printer.

You're going to want to store them on your PC anyway, right?

If you no longer have the HP Photo Printing Software that shipped on a CD with your Photosmart Printer, you can download a newer version from HP's web site (they now call it HP Image Zone Express). Personally, I liked the original version better, though.

BTW, I just threw out an HP Photosmart 1215 a few days ago (it finally broke). It also had card readers (CompactFlash and Smartmedia, like yours). I only printed directly from the memory cards one time over it's lifespan (and that was just to test it to see how it worked). Using a PC gives you much more flexibility.

Also, the card readers in the older HP Printers are VERY slow (even by USB 1.1 standards). So, you'd be better off buying a new "all in one" USB 2.0 card reader to read your SD if you're not getting fast enough transfers from the camera. Then, just print from your PC to the printer.

That's my opinion anyway. ;-) USB2.0 multi-card readers are cheap, and fast.

JimC is online now   Reply With Quote