Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Oct 26, 2002, 8:49 PM   #1
Default Filters and Lenses and Rings, Oh My!

Hey all,

I need some advice. I have a Fujifilm S602Z digital camera (optical zoom range is 35mm - 210mm equivalent) and I recently acquired 0.5x and 2.0x conversion lenses along with a few filters.

The problem: When I have the wide angle conversion lens on at the widest angle, I get pretty severe vignetting. Since the filters go on the end of the extension tube, between the built-in lens and the conversion lens, adding filters makes the vignetting even worse. This isn't too much of a problem with the telephoto because vignetting only occurs in the 70mm - 210mm range, which I can get without that lens anyway.

The extension tube takes 55mm filters and the lenses are both 62mm, I believe. What I would like to do is buy 67mm filters so I can use multiple filters at t time without exacerbating the vignetting problem. I figure I can get a 62-67 stepping ring to secure the filters to the conversion lenses. Then, I can get a 55-62 stepping ring, and use both rings to secure the same filters to the 55mm extension tube.

(1) Is this the best way to deal with this problem?

(2) Is stepping up to the 67mm filters for 62mm lenses necessary (or not enough), or is there a less expensive way to satisfactorily deal with this problem?

Thanks very much for any guidance you can give.

sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 3:26 PM   #2

How about cokin filters? i have used them for years with excelent results. They have two size sets, one for small to med lenses, and one for med to large lenses. They are not glass, but they can fit a variety of threads and are quickly interchangable.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote