Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:03 AM   #11

NHL.. I'm comfortable with the microdrive idea 'cos I can pre-view what's stored on it in my cam., especially as prices are coming down. Although a lot of cam users probably can't use them.

If I'm in the hotel with my laptop, I don't really need the Archos/Mindstore. But I'm wondering how I'd be feeling if I dumped my pics to this box on a shoot, erased the originals on a flashcard, then found I had files with corrupted pics.

I like HDD IDE bus devices, they seem on the whole consistently error resilient, can intelligently manage media write defects through caching and are given interrupt priority. I've not had that feeling with serial interfaces like USB though - unless transferring very slowly.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:17 AM   #12

That's why I trust my MindStor more than most. It looks to me like after it has copied it performs an extra verifying cycle at the end of the download from the microdrives (as indicated by 'verifying' instead of 'copying' on its LCD screen).

I don't know about the Archos, but I sure like its MP3 playing part!

The CF+ standard is a miniaturized version of the IDE so I believe the same EDEC should be there if implemented properly.... The nice thing is when you have copies on both the MindStor/Archos and Laptop you're at least guarantee from any mishap that might happen outside of your control to either one... Now we are getting to be paranoid again(the plane might crash! :lol: :lol: :lol.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote