Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Jan 13, 2003, 1:15 AM   #1
Default Mini tripod

Hi, does anyone have a recommendation for a mini-tripod that doens't tip over when you flip a compact camera vertical?

Thanks in advance.
Nikon Coolpix 3500
Sifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:33 AM   #2

I don't know where you're located, but I picked up a lightweight plastic one from Mountain Equipment Coop. They have stores in Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver, as well as a website and catalogue operation.

The mini-tripod also has a velcro strap that is really handy for attaching your camera to a pole or tree. I can't remember the price exactly, but it was less than $20 Canadian, which is about $10 US.

Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 6:25 PM   #3

REI has a pretty good little plastic tripod, foldable with a double-ball head you can tighten down so it should do a balancing act with lightweight cameras.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 7:48 PM   #4

I've got a small one called a Giotto iPod (no relation to the apple). It's a little larger footprint that some of the others and is quite stable. About the only thing is that two of the aluminum legs screw in to the top area and that can be a bit picky trying not to cross thread them.

It's solid enough that I've used it with a handycam that I wanted to keep stationary.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2003, 11:18 AM   #5

don't know if they still make it or if it even still exists, but YASHICA made one that worked really well. still using it. the legs screw/unscrew from the post for quick setup. very stable. use to use it on my NIKON F's, FTN's, FG, FE, and now on the 5700. it's also good for steadying camera on chest, wall, or any other surface.
pixrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2004, 10:39 PM   #6

I own a Mini tripod from Slik.
It's great and I think it fits your needs!
(mine is the last one, the cheapest!)
It's about $20
Best regards,
Deiota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 1:00 PM   #7

Someone else mentioned (in another thread) the POD, which can be found at http://www.thepod.ca as well as at B&H Photo and Adorama. After checking it out, I thought it looked interesting and bought it. At B&H I payed about $21 (including s&h).
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:16 AM   #8

I have one from Eddie Bauer that looks amazingly like the Ultrapod from REI. I've had it for years and have been pretty pleased with it. It weighs next to nothing and has velcro on it to strap it to a hiking stick, tree, fence, etc.

I've have it for at least a decade now and it is well worth the $10 that I paid for it. My only regret is that Eddie Bauer no longer carries it so if it ever breaks I won't be able to take advantage of their warranty.
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:43 AM   #9

This is the one I have...

cost about $15 shipped, very compact, I have not used it alot... but it seems well made and has velcro so you can attach it to tree limbs or fence posts or ?????
LynchMOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 3:50 PM   #10

This is what I bought and highly recommend it. I don't even waste the space in my case with my other mini table-top tripod anymore.

It's only 10" tall when folded (nice and sturdy table top tripod) but extends to 49" to be used as a full-sized tripod. It has a ball head on it that does allow for flipping a camera to portrait easily, and it's very sturdy and capable of supporting my older Sony 8mm video camera, so it can pretty much handle all digital cameras, except maybe a dSLR with a huge elephant lens on it. Comes with a nice nylon case with a belt loop and wrist strap.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote