Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:21 PM   #1

Hi there

I've two lense Hoods that i use on my canon eos350D DSLR, attached to the standard 18-55 kit lense and also one for the EF75-300mm IIIusm lense.

I was told that the use of hoods is a good thing to help prevent flare. But is there times or certain shots and conditions that I am better to remove the lense hood? i.e in low light, nightshots, indoors etc, The camera is fitted with a Canon 580ex speedlite and often used even in daylight for some fill flash, I leave the hoods on all the time, but should i maybe not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 7:36 PM   #2

As long as you are not experiancing vignetting at wide angles, I don't see where there is any disadvantage to leaving the hoods on.
If they are inconvenient to you in any way, try one of those rubber collapsable hoods that you can just fold back if you don't want it sticking out.

The only situation where the hood might get in the way is when you are shooting macro with the lens very close to the subject. Then, the hood could block out some of the light from your flash if you use it. That's one reason why they make those ring flashes that attach to the front of the lens, even a lens without a hood can cast a shadow over your subject.

Oh, there's another reason to keep your hoods on: to impress people. I've heard people say things like, "Well, he has a lens hood, he must be a professional."

granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 8:03 AM   #3

I put the lens hood on when I am shooting on sunny days. The rest of the time, it's just too invasive. It really makes the camera more of an attention-grabber. I like to take photos without people paying much attention to what I am doing. If you are more interested in blending in to the background than being the center of attention when you are shooting, the lens hood is a serious impediment to going about your business.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4

tclune has the only reason I can think of for leaving the lens hood off - and that probably isn't real important if you are shooting at wide angle with a standard lens hood - not the pedal type.

A lens hood does more than justreduce flare, it also protects the lens. Since the lens surface is recessed, it is harder for things like rain, twigs, ...to get at it. That is alsoan argument for rigid lens hoods instead of flexible ones.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for their advice, I do find it quite useful when taking pics if there a little bit of rain about, recent trip to the top of the empire helped stop the drizzle effect the lense for some very good pics with an awesome sky.

I agree that it can sometimes make the camera stand out a little and probably in certain situations you dont want that.

I'll keep them on then, I was just concerned that maybe that in certain situations like indoor photo that i might be losing some of the much needed light getting to the lense with the hood on.

Cheers everyone for your help, Im sure i'll be back with more questions soon!

Jamboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:22 AM   #6

can some one explain the difference between the pedal type and solid lens hood and there applications Regards Calvin
gilly89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:12 PM   #7

The petal type hood has cut outs so that there is no vignetting in the corners. If they were not there, on some lenses the corners of photos would be cut off by the hood.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:46 PM   #8

Hoods get in the way of your on-board flash when using wide-angle lenses. You're using a tall flash so I doubt this would affect you except at utra-wide angle. You would see it very clearly if it did and it wouldn't take long to work out what it was either so I'm guessing it doesn't affect your shots at all.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:27 PM   #9

I have had some great shots ruined by the onboard flach catching the lens hood and creating a dark shadow on the bottom of the pic... I tend to have it inverted on the lens when shooting with the onboard flash... the SB600 is way tall enough to counter that problem.

I like the hood on for general purpose shooting tho'.

Aussie G is offline   Reply With Quote