Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:55 AM   #1

I'm just wondering if the brand of polarized filter really matter. I mean, I use a $35 polarized sunglass from Costco and when I went to the mall to check out a $235 polarized Oakley sunglasses, I couldn't tell a difference. It's actually better than the $180 non-polarized Oakleys.

I'm eyeing Tiffen, Hoya and generic brands (ie Adorama branded or B&H's General Brand). The generics seems to provide a good value and I'll probably get them unless I find a compelling reason not to.

Does generics have any major flaws like they get stuck, breaks easily, comes off of its ring, scratches easily, ghosting, or anything like that?

I'm using Nikon's 18-55 and 70-300G lens, so they're not the high-end lens and that's why I'm trying to save money on filters. Same reason I have Costco tires on my Civic and not Pirelli's.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

The cheaper filters have simpler coatings on them or no coatings at all, so they are more likely to cause or worsen flare and ghosting with your lens than a more expensive filter. If you expect to be shooting into strong lights or in other conditions where internal reflections might cause a problem, go for the more expensive filters. Otherwise, the cheaper filters will work well enough.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote