Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Misc Accessories

Old May 13, 2006, 1:22 PM   #1

I am looking to buy a camera bag, since I am beggining photography and do not have any currently.
I will be canoeing up in minnesota this summer so it needs to be able to take a quick dunk in the lake if the canoe tips and still be fine.
I have heard great stuff about the Lowepro Mini Trekker AW and was wondering if it would keep my gear dry if it fell in the water.
I was also looking at tamracs (Tamrac 5273 Expedition 3 or travel pack) and wondered if you know if they are very waterproof.
The only totally waterproof bag ive seen is the lowepro dryZone and thats out of my price range.
And cause Ill be using it for more than just canoeing a hard case wouldnt work very well.

I have a prosumer camera(panasonic FZ20), lens hood , batterys extra cards, filters, stuff like that to put in it

footfungas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 7:01 PM   #2

I highly recommend a waterproof case. I paddle a lot and spend time out in some interesting weather, but always like to have my camera with me. I got a pelican case. Waterproof, crush-proof. In a #1200 I fit my Canon S1 ISw/lens adapter on, extra batteries, a simple charger, a macro lens and the manual. Cost for that size case was about $50. The pick and pluck foam was easy to shape to fit the items very well and can be replace if if wears out or if I get a new camera. No worries about swamping, banging it around getting packs in and out of the canoe or when piling them in the back of the car. a worthwhile investment. Of course you would not be taking a charger on a canoe trip, but you can use that space for more extra batteries and memory cards. Fits nicely in my day pack, too.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 10:04 AM   #3

I have the mini-trecker and while it will withstand a good rain, I would not 'dunk' it and expect the contents to remain dry.

But, here is something that should work:

The DryZone 200 by Lowepro

This is the first soft-sided camera backpack that is completely waterproof, even if it falls into the water. With the hi-tech TIZEP zipper closed, it will also float, even fully loaded. Inside the inner zipper, there is a heavy-duty adjustable camera compartment. Rounding out the system is: a tuck away tripod holder, outer and inner mesh pockets, an ergonomic adjustable backpack harness with waist belt and a rubber handle. Accepts SlipLock add-ons. Ideal for water expeditions and extreme weather such as rain, snow and driving sand. Outer waterproof Drypod is waterproof plastic nylon and inner pack is water resistant 600D TXP and 2000D ballistic nylon. Color is black/gray. Exterior size: 14.5"Wx11.5"Dx19"H. Interior size:12"Wx6"Dx17"H
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 6:36 PM   #4

yeah, ive seen that but its too expensive for me
footfungas is offline   Reply With Quote