Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old May 31, 2003, 10:30 AM   #1

Default d100 white balance and sunsets

Help!

The other day we had a gorgeous red and gold and pink sunset and we ran outside with the D100 and the coolpix 5700 and started shooting. The 5700 produced a true to life fuschia sunset and the d100 image was blue-grey. Arghhh! I am sure this is a white balance issue but I can't find the answer in Hogan's book or my instruction manual.

If I am shooting a gorgeous orange, red , pink sunset, what do I set the white ballance at? I am going to the okavanga delta in july and I want to create those wonderful orange or pink elephants at the waterhole pics I see - which filter do I use? how does that effect white balance settings?

Thanks,

Ann
aeswinford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 4:53 PM   #2

Hi Ann

I've been shooting sunsets too with the D100. For me - I found that the issue was not the wb settings. The issue is what format you choose to shoot in. Choose RAW and forget that JPEG and TIFF formats!

I always shoot raw! This way I can change the wb like I want to, when I'm back home again with my PC. If you choose raw, you can set the exact colortemperature - just as you remembered it. This is so good! If you got that blue/grey sunset - just use Nikon Capture to change it to more warm colors by adjusting the whitebalance/colortemp. afterwards.

Thanks to RAW I never have WB problems anymore!

Best regards
Klaus
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 3:43 PM   #3

Default Raw?? White balance??

I come from a extensive video background (that is how I make my living) and have been working with white balance issues for years. I know, the worst is "auto" white balance. The camera just looks at the overall color and makes it's adjustments. If you are shooting a sunset, I would use the outdoor setting. For everything else, manually white balance the camera.

Over the weekend, I was shooting with a professional digital still photographer and he was telling me that he shoots uncompressed. With his 6 megapixel camera, that's 18 meg per image!! I thought he was crazy and told him that I cannot tell a difference in a "fine mode" jpg and uncompressed. He told me the difference is when you adjust color. Now, maybe he is not so crazy. Can you shed any light (no pun intended) on this? Why is uncompressed better at adjusting color temp??

Thanks in advance for the education,
Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 3:54 PM   #4

Well, I'm pretty sure your friend shoots in RAW. Raw is the uncompressed format (or tiff - but it's much to slow to shoot). Raw contains all the information you can get from the CCD and some more. It simply stores all the whitebalance setting and more, so that you can adjust it back home, instead of on the spot. This means that i'ts of no importance what the WB actually is, when you shoot - you may adjust it later. Just safe the raw file, 9mb and "convert" it to a 18 mb TIFF back home. I dont know much about this process technically. Or save the (Nikon) .nef files and take it into your digital darkchamber, whenever you want to get the photo made - that you like the particular day. Taste developes through life. That is proberbly why your friend shoots uncompressed.

When you compress your shot - i.e to .jpg you loose important informations. I can't recommend that!

"Why is uncompressed better at adjusting colortem....". Because you get all the colorinformations untouched - you dont with a compressed file. The only advantage with at compressed file is that you can take more of them - faster, because the save-time to the memory card is much faster.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2004, 2:57 PM   #5

I am surprised that Nikon makes the tiff available out of the
camera.

I just know about Canon's process. But the process keeps each pixel as a separate value, with a 12bit size and location. Additionally the exif and other data. Then this is all compressed similar to a zip file. When it is converted at home each pixel is interpolated and combined with its neighbors to make a tiff. Using 1.5 bytes per pixel rather than 3.

Kind of technical, but that is basically how it works.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:23 PM   #6

for background on RAW, see the pdfs in the following link

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html
memento is offline   Reply With Quote