Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Default Help shooting an owl with some quality. (can't use flash)

Hello there.

There's an owl that appears at night, it's very friendly and curious, it comes next to me and keeps looking from certain distance (3-4m on ground, on trees it comes even closer).

I noticed however, that the light seems to annoy or scare it, very dim light is okay, but it will refuse to go to anywhere where there's condition to actually shoot something usable.

Sometimes it stays relatively immobile, I think I could shot at 1/8 or something.

I'm not going to use flash, because I had another friend-owl before moving to my actual house, and once I tried to shoot it and it never appeared again, and it was a burrowing owl, which appeared in dusk and sometimes even during the day. This one only appears very late at night, so I think it's much more sensitive to light, and also, I don't want to lose such a good friend because of a (probably bad) photo.

Last night it appeared but I didn't noticed where it was, so I scared it, however, I made some tests where it appears and it was possible to shot at 1/5 and 1/8 (ISO 6400) with some visible results. Sharpness was not good at all (hand held) and the noise was bad, so I definately need some more light. I'll try to borrow some brighter lenses also.

Maybe I could use a flashlight or something... Maybe there's some flashlight allows you to adjust the power of the light, so I could try to increase it slowly...

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Regards.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:41 PM   #2

G'day mate

I'm not sure about solutions - hopefully someone else with birding experience will come good
However, sometimes we've just got to contain ourselves to 'love what we see' rather than 'capture what we see'

Don't let this comment put you off at all - it's just a thought after many years of trying to get the seemingly impossible

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3

You might try shooting it with a Ruger 22. After its stuffed and mounted then you can position it anywhere and shoot away to your hearts content and all without a flash. And when you arent shooting it, you can just sit there and appreciate it. Just an idea.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 8:56 PM   #4

I'd start with a tripod and make more practice shots. Maybe leave a porch or window light on that will add some.
TomH in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012, 9:45 PM   #5

High iOS and big aperture lens. If it stays still long enough you might have a chance.