Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:59 PM   #1

Default How do you gets so close.

I am asked many times how I get such close animal and bird photos. I do work for local and regional outdoor magazines. Most of my wildlife shots are still with film. I haven't bought a digital slr yet but plan to in the future. I use a an 80-300x F 2.5 Pentax lens i bought 30 yrs. ago. I have Vivitar 2x converter i also use. Lately I have been using the Kodak DX 6490, I got for Christmas as it has a 10x zoom. But, my 2nd most important item is a portable enclosed camo blind. I takes 30 seconds to set up and has 4 zippered windows. It is dark on the inside to prevent the game from seeing in. Most of the time I set it up ahead of time and put out some corn or birdseed(where legal) This makes for a very good setup as i can arrange for the best lite and sun angle. I usually get in the blind before daylite and then enter again about 3 hrs, before dark. A good tripod is essential. I use a Gitzo/ballhead and an old very rigid Sears with panhead. Hope this helps someone.

Shot at 60 feet
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2

Meow!

I'm not very experienced with blinds, is that something I can just walk into Wal-Mart and go to the sporting goods section and say, "Hi, can you please show me some blinds?"
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:51 AM   #3

Wall-mart not too likely though you never know these days.

Better off heading to a sporting/hunting goods shop.
They are also not to hard to DIY, though the commercial ones tend to be quite light and portable.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:51 AM   #4

i'm guessing this technique takes some serious patience ehh?
yeah....how much are blinds? i have a park down the street from my house with a small pond that has a Great Blue Heron that lives there.....i'm not sure i'd be able to set up a blind at a public park (without getting some wierd looks lol)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:57 AM   #5

Hee, brings up a funny story, I know one fellow who was lying sill shooting on the ground in a camo sack, just material sown into a big long sack, with his girlfriend sitting a little ways off watching him.

In no time the police showed up, seems some passer by busybodies had reported seeing her sitting there with a dead body.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:58 AM   #6

Well yes, but they will probably take you to the curtain dept :lol: I got mine from The Bass Pro Shop it is made by ameristep and is called the outhouse. It is a miniature tent and folds up in a small package. It pops open instantly. Here is the catalog page. There are many varieties but this is the one I liked.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP
Hee, brings up a funny story, I know one fellow who was lying sill shooting on the ground in a camo sack, just material sown into a big long sack, with his girlfriend sitting a little ways off watching him.

In no time the police showed up, seems some passer by busybodies had reported seeing her sitting there with a dead body.

LOL :lol:

I'm planning on going to shoot the Cherry Blossoms in DC with a group and the group leader recommended dressing in clothes you can get dirty in because we will be on the ground. I told my wife that I was going to go get a mat or tarp to lie down on and she asked me if everyone would think I was a geek for lying down on my mat. I told her that if they think I'm a geek then at least I'll be a clean one!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:22 PM   #8

hmm 69....that isn't bad!

Quote:

lol that is a good one
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX6490
Well yes, but they will probably take you to the curtain dept :lol: I got mine from The Bass Pro Shop it is made by ameristep and is called the outhouse.
Yeah, or they'll tell me to go to Home Depot or something!

Thank you for the info. I'll have to see how much I get back from Uncle Sam this year.

I live near Shenandoah National Park and I've been wanting to get some bear pictures. A blind would be nice and while I'm waiting for bear to show up I can have fun with the tourists!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:30 PM   #10

don't be mean

lol
you'll have to go "bear" foot in the blind though lol

(that pun was a stretch ehh?)