Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Jul 1, 2004, 1:59 AM   #11

Very nice captures, geoff. I hope to see you out and about getting some bird and other wildlife photos outdoors as well. It's clear that you know how to use that camera!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 2:08 AM   #12

Thanks for peeking in Norm.

I'm still getting used to this camera to be honest with you. The manual focusing is not optimal - it's just a digitally magnified area in the LCD display that you use arrow keys to focus the image with. It'd be simpler and more accurateif I had a manual focusing ring around the lens.

My wish list for 2005 is going to be a DSLR and appropriate lenses. I'll never be in the 1D Mk II class but I think for 1-2k in a year I should be able to get something decent.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:28 AM   #13

Not exactly fish, but through glass none the less. This is my frog dweezel.
Attached Images

wes nile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:13 AM   #14

Here's my offering.

This guy must have felt threatened by his reflection in the camera, as he would act aggressively when I pointed the lens at him.

By the way, the glass was very dirty, inside and out. I should have used PS to clean it up a little.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada.
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:59 PM   #15

Thanks Geoff for web siteon photograping fish techniques. It helped alot. the following pics were taken with my Fuji s7000z at 8.0f@1/160, macro setting, auto focus with camera tilted down to avoid flare from flash. I didnt used a tripod as my fish are very active and NEVER stay still. It takes alot of patients so I guess you need to have a big interest in fish. It is great to be able to combine the two hobbies!

Jane
Attached Images

jac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 9:01 PM   #16

Here's another.
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2004, 9:04 PM   #17

This fish was on the move but was really impressed that camera captured it so clearly when it was moving so fast.

Jane
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:58 AM   #18

jac74 wrote:
Quote:
This fish was on the move but was really impressed that camera captured it so clearly when it was moving so fast.

Jane
Jane, great shots of your fish "pets"! :-) What kind of cichlids are they?

I'm glad the article I posted the link to helped you. As for me, I'm waiting to receive my new Canon 20D to see how it helps in photographing my fish...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:11 AM   #19

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Jane, great shots of your fish "pets"! :-) What kind of cichlids are they?

I'm glad the article I posted the link to helped you. As for me, I'm waiting to receive my new Canon 20D to see how it helps in photographing my fish...

Geoff,

They are Lake Malawi Cichlids. The first pick was a juvenile Saulosi male, the second is a male hongi and the 3rd is an electric blue female. My partner and I have been breeding for around two years and we currently have around 16 different species. The following is a pic of a male and female d.compressiceps who have just reached breeding age and have given us 2 lots of fry already.

Jane
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:16 AM   #20

here is the young Saulosi male with his two young females. Quite a bit of growing up to do yet before they are of breeding age but he gives it a good try and has been displaying in front of the girls this week.

Jane
Attached Images