Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:21 AM   #21

Real nice shots and some great cichlid specimens, Jane! I also love cichlids but this time around I setup up a 72g bowfront planted tank and cichlids aren't the most friendly to planted tanks. Other than the usual housekeeping crew (Siamese Algae eaters, oto's, Amano shrimp, Bronze Cats) I've now started to accumulate some schools of rainbowfish.

When I was a teenager (many moons ago now...) I used to keep cichlids and also bred them. My favorite at the time were Egyptian Mouthbreeders but I see that those are hardly ever available anymore - must have gone out of style among aquarists over the years.

Geoff
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:44 PM   #22

I tried taking a few shots of my goldfish in a bowl. So there was no canopy with light in it. This meant that I needed to use the flash. My first few shots I took head on and of course, the flash hit the glass and bounced back at the camera so the shots were not good. I then started taking them from an angle and this worked a bit better. I think the most important thing is to have clean glass! These were taken with my old point and shoot digital Olympus camera.

Snaphappy1
Attached Images

snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:45 PM   #23

Heres the other one.

Snaphappy1
Attached Images

snaphappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:29 PM   #24

This shot was taken in automatic mode in Vancouver aquarium.

Attached Images

coutancineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:38 PM   #25

Nice fishes. :G
qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:54 PM   #26

Jane, love your smiling cat. What's her name? Smiling because of your fish photos?
tigerwings1st
tigerwings1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 6:14 PM   #27

Well, since everyone is sharing fish tank pictures, here are 3 of the better ones out of the 25 I just took. I ran these real quickly threw an auto-color balance, cropped them and thats about it. Oh, the first photo, I did a little editing to, just to remove some fish tank speckles (dirty water)

This one could have made a nice photo, but the damn organe fish got in the way.

Alittle to much slave flash, but still worth the posting.

And for those with interest, all shots were taking on an Olympus sp-500uz, stock lens, stock flash, slave slave and a tripod.
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:08 AM   #28

@Tat2dGuy keep an eye on those angels.

They eat neon tetras in the wild so any small fish will be seen as lunch.
If you see them stop eating, count your danios / white clouds etc.
I took a pair of adult Angels in from some one keeping them in a 24" tank. 3 days later I was minus 20 or so white clouds and a hand full of guppies.

I was give a great tip for taking snaps of fish, put a sheet of glass in the tank to form a corridor between the glass and the front of the tank(or a 2nd plate of glass). You can now fix the focus, and wait for the fish to swim into shot.
toy_car_uk is offline   Reply With Quote