Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:18 AM   #21

Hey Tom,

Sorry for the late post, and you may have already identified the issues you were dealing with in the first couple of pictures that weren't in good focus, but I have the same camera as you and have found similar issues in similar shots, and wanted to share what I found was going on with my experience. I took some similar shots and have noticed when I jumped out of the car in a misty/foggy location, my lense DID get a slight haze to it. I went away after a moment when the camera lense temperature matched the environment (not my air conditioned car). I also tend to forget to put my camera in landscape mode too for the first couple of shots. Something else I've noticed, is when my lense isn't fogged, I'm in landscape mode (or what ever focus mode I want for that matter), that if my focus doesn't lock on the first couple of tries, I just try repeatedly half pressing the shutter button down, and sometimes it will lock. OR, I'll touch my zoom in or out a hair, and sometimes that helps. One more thing, is when you're in a less than ideal lighting situation (like foggy morning or evening situations) don't let the camera decide whether you shoot or not. I mean I notice my camera flashes a red AE or AF icon in the upper right hand corner of my viewfinder, I usually go ahead and take the shot anyway, cause that's what I'm trying to capture anyway. The flashing AF obviously is the AutoFocus, and it indicates when the camera can't achieve an ideal focus (or at least can't determine itself whether it has or not), but that's when I let my eyes decide whether it has locked on what I want or not.

I don't know if you have already figured all this stuff out already, and if so, PLEASE forgive me for being long winded. Hopefully, this helped a little, but I am still learning my camera too...:-) I'll post an example or two of my foogy shots when I was dealing with what you described, and I tried the tricks I mentioned above.

Dave...

Attached Images

DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:19 AM   #22

Here's another...

Dave...
Attached Images

DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:38 PM   #23

Hi Dave;

Thanks for the post. Yes, I have figured much of that out through trial and error, and through the willinglness to try the same thing again and again until the process makes itself clear.

Your shots are very nice. A very nice scene with really nice lighting. I don't even mind the power lines through the one shot.

I think what may have helped in your case is that the fog was a very definite entity, localized in the shot, whereas in my attempts, the mist is more like a haze that pervades the entire shot.

Thanks again. It's nice to share ideas with other photographers.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:59 PM   #24

hmm..dave i have a question..

wat kind of fog would that be?

radiation fog?

if you don't know that's ok...but if you know could you share your knowledge

i've seen steam fog (in my thread in landscapes ) this fall....so i'm wondering wat other fogs i'll see this fall...

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:46 AM   #25

Just stumble upon this forum and I am thinking of taking some fog shots. Do you make sure your flash is turned off? I was going to shoot tonight:?
fairy_basslet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 4:42 PM   #26

fairy_basslet wrote:
Quote:
Just stumble upon this forum and I am thinking of taking some fog shots. Do you make sure your flash is turned off? I was going to shoot tonight:?
Generally, I think it would be a good idea to keep the flash off. I find it more effective if there is light behind the mist. I'm sure you may get some interesting results with the flash, though.

Cheers,

http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

<edit - Saturday morning>

One thing to note here is that experience really does make a difference. See Post your favorite picturein the Kodak forums (mine is the 15th post in the thread) or this shot. A year ago shooting with this camera I could not have achieved these results. I don't want to go all "Zen" on you, but there is something to be said about "becoming one" with your tools and environment.Cheers.

Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:03 AM   #27

Talking of horses in the fog. Here's one I met in Pembrokeshire last March. Taken with my Fujifilm Finepix A210
Attached Images

Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:15 PM   #28

Tom Overton schreef:
Quote:
Hi again;

I guess I'm a little anal when it comes to planning.

You're anal? :blah:

btw,your last pic is ab-so-lu-tly magnificent! What are the odds to encounter such a beautiful view? (and to snap it as well:?)
stefaantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:22 PM   #29

stefaantje wrote:
Quote:
btw,your last pic is ab-so-lu-tly magnificent! What are the odds to encounter such a beautiful view? (and to snap it as well:?)
Hi...

I'd just about forgotten about this series of shots. Certainly the last of mine here is for me the best of the bunch. As it has been noted elsewhere, sometimes the key to a great shot is standing in just the right spot. In this case, the right spot was about 3000 miles from my front door. This is the harbour in Tofino B.C. And happens to have been perhaps one of my most successful photo-shoots ever. I have at least a half dozen "keepers" from that morning.

Thanks for the comments.

http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Old Dec 12, 2006, 8:11 AM   #30

Or you can forget about the wildlife during this type of weather and go for this look.

Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote