Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1

Hi there;

This morning,I had the opportunity to take a long-anticipated shot. On my way to work, before sunrise, I often see about a dozen or so egrets perched in a tree across a small river. This morning there was a beautiful light mist over the scene, so I grabbed my camera and sarted shooting. Much to my dismay, most of the shots are out of focus.

My camera, a Kodak dx6490 has an auto-focus that is not very forgiving under extreme circumstances. Though I have beenfairly successful with a lot of low-light shots, this morning, I could not get the camera to choose a focal point in the mist. (I'll post some shots when I get home from work.)

I had even worse luck with a black gannet(?) that was about half as distant. I had really high hopes, but came away very disappointed. I was using a fairly sturdy tripod, so the problem isn't camera movement.

I know you really can't comment without seeing the pictures, but I thougth I'd put this out there for anyone's consideration.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:07 PM   #2

i dont know your camera's available settings or how the environment was when you were shooting. My suggestion is that in order to get an object in the mist in focus,either you focus manually (if you camera has the ability) or maybe you can focus on an item in the same distance somewhere outside the mist. half press the button, focus lock and then turn the camera (keeping the button half pressed) to the mist and shoot. but then there is an exposure problem as well...for that use an initial focus subject of similar lightness or try taking many shots with diferent exposures if your camera has a program function..
well if the bird is still there after all that...:lol:just joking!
hope this helps
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:06 PM   #3

Hello, Pavaros;

Unfortunately, the 6490 has no manual focus mode. Here is an example of my results today. This was among my better shots. Most simply would not focus. I am quite comfortable in low-light situations, so that part was not unfamiliar. My guess is that the fog simply confused the auto focus.

Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:10 PM   #4

The good news is that this scene can be repeated. This spot seems to be a favorite with the birds, and in the autumn, there are often misty mornings like this. So if I can solve the focus gremlin, I may get some decent shots.

Here's another, not so good.

Tom

P.S. I do realize that the bird is in motion here, but the whole scene doesn't seem to be in focus.
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:14 PM   #5

One more... (I hope I have these in the right order. It's hard to choose between different tumbnails)

Tom
Attached Images

Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:47 PM   #6

As Pavaros suggested, try fooling your camera into locking it's settings with a longer focus distance by pointing at another object of equal distance but with no obfuscating element.

Secondly (assuming you yourself are present in the mist), make sure your optics is clean. It's possible that the moisture content in the environment marginally condensated your lens. Like breathing a continuous flow of hot air on your lens. It seems to be apparent in your first shot where the image as a whole has high whiteness content, yet the mist doesn't seem to occupy that region of the image (for example the upper left part of the first image). Then again it could just be the jpeg compression =)
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:20 PM   #7

Hello Ghost;

Thanks for your response. I'm familar with the concept of fooling a camera into picking a sharper focus point, but it's a lot harder to do when you're locked on a tripod. I generally try to force the camera into "infinity" focusby selecting landscape mode, but as far as I can tell, the mist is confusing the metering system.

I'm hoping there will be a bit of fog tomorrow morning as well, so I can take another crack at things.

Thanks for your help.

Old Sep 22, 2004, 6:15 AM   #8

No shots this morning...

We had fog alright - we were socked in. I could hardly see the edge of the river, much less the trees across it. Too bad I have to work for a living, it would be a nice day to watch the sun come up and get some shots of the fog burning off - oh, yeah... I can't get those shots (see above):roll:Ah, well, such is life.

Tom, not complaining, on Point Pelee, Canada
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:40 PM   #9

I think you need a new camera.

I guess I got lucky with my digital camera.
2 years ago I got an Olympus C-700UZ, and it seems to be able to autofocus on just about anything.

In fact, I have sevral shots in fog alot worse than that while traveling down the road.
It does have full manual mode, but I almost never use it.

w8tvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 4:13 PM   #10

I had a little more luck this morning. First, some horses:

I composed the shot a couple of times before I thought I had a good focus... and I used the self timer... I'm just glad the fellah stayed put.

Attached Images