Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Mar 18, 2005, 7:27 AM   #1

Got my new camera today. Panasonic DMC-FZ3. Any tips on shooting the moon? Is a tripod really needed?

Thanks for your tips.

Stephan
kadok6330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:18 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new camera Kado!

Getting the proper exposure of the Moon can be tricky. There are many variable to play with. You probably won't geta good exposure shooting on AUTO. I found a good link that should get you started.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/howtophoto/

Good luck.

ThomasATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:12 PM   #3

yes, you'll want to eliminate anypossibility ofcamera shake, soeven withOIS, it's bestto use a tripod.set OIS to mode 2, or turn it off entirely when using a tripod. for a full moon, set your aperture to f8, shutter to about 1/250 (experimentwith even faster shutter speeds if it's really bright), and use the self-timer so your hand doesn't move the camera. the shot below was taken at 1/320, f8, from a tripod...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:23 PM   #4

Very nice shot. I took one under similar circumstances, on a tripod with a remote. The camera is a Panasonic FZ20. But it came out a lot softer. I think I took it with a much wider aperture though, like 2.8. Could that have made the difference? Also, did you use the digital zoom, or optical only and then cropped? Did you sharpen it? Obviously your shot came out a lot crisper than mine.
Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2005, 2:08 AM   #5

I used an FZ20 as well, 12x optical, no digital. I suspect thedifference was the aperture... I used f8 for maximum clarity, and did a bit of sharpening and cropping. I tried the digital zoom, and the image was definitely larger, but not as clear.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 1:02 PM   #6

I took a nature photography class over the weekend. The instructor said the best time to shoot a full mone is acually a day or two *before* the official full moon day. One those days the Moon comes up at the same time the Sun is going down and can get better exposures when the sky is not so black (smaller dynamic range). -- Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 5:59 PM   #7

Took this one during the total eclipse of October, 2004 - self timer, tripod, and automatic exposure. Too blurry for much enlargement - you really need a star drive for long exposures. I'm surprised I got anything at all.
Attached Images

penolta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:41 PM   #8

At a recent astrological meeting to see the eclipse last year i took this with tri pod and remoteon my KM-5d 75-300 lens, not good, my first attempt and it was a very clear sky but so bitter cold! It was worth it though as I did also see jupters rings and orions nebular
Attached Images

bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:06 AM   #9

I used a monopod to take this one. No cable releases or remotes.
Attached Images

DigitalDiva is offline   Reply With Quote