Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:57 PM   #1

Hi all,

I hope this is the right group for this. Since I like to get out and do some hicking on occassion, I have been looking for a walking stick that can also be used as a monopod and/or tripod. I come accross the TrekPod.

Has anybody here used the Trek-Tech.com TrekPod walking stick/monopod/tripod? I haven't been able to find any detailed reviews of this product. So far, the only complaint that I've come across (in the DPReview Canon forum) is that it doesn't collapse into a compact size for putting in a backpack or suitcase.

Actually, I have alrady ordered the TrekPod and plan to use it with my Panasonic FZ20. I will give it a workout in about a week so I would like to post my review here if that is OK with you folks. Any related info or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:27 AM   #2

Well, I tried out the TrekPod over a long 4 day weekend. First, there is a bend in monopod where the legs meet the pole. Second, it doesn't take much wind to make the TrekPod wobble in tripod mode. The quick release magnectic head mount is very nice though.

But, overall, I am dissatisfied with the TrekPod and plan to returning it. After taking a nature photography class over the weekend, I am strongly thinking about splurging and getting a Gitzo Explorer G2227. Any other good choices for a similar tripod?

Thanks,
Steven
Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:32 AM   #3

Hi again,

I feel like that I need to clarify my comments about my TrekPod experience. After posting the above comment, I was contacted by Trek-Tech because they wanted more information about the problems that I posted here.

The excessive bend where the tripod legs meet the pole was probably caused by UPS during shipment because the shipping box and the inner product box (both very long) have a crease in this same area.

Trek-Tech has already given me the RMA information. So, it sems that their support department is very good and are genuinely concerned about their product.

However, I am still returning the TrekPod for a refund instead of getting a replacement. My needs have changed over the weekend because I took a nature photography class. For the type photos that I want to take, I need a tripod that can get low to the ground and have a tilting center pole like the Gitzo G2220.

Despite the above, I still really like Trek-Tech's magnetic quick release mounting system. So, I will be buying their MagMount quick release tripod head product.

Thanks,
Steven

[Edit note: only fixed misspelled words.]
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:35 PM   #4

I finally have ordered a new tripod, a Gitzo G2220. I didn't want to pay double the price for a G2227. As I mentioned above, I did order the MagMount tripod head from Trek-Tech. I am now waiting for all the goodies to come in. -- Steven
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

I have finally ordered a new tripod, a Gitzo G2220. I didn't want to pay double the price for a G2227. As I mentioned above, I did order the MagMount tripod head from Trek-Tech. I am now waiting for all the goodies to come in.
Old May 12, 2005, 6:17 PM   #6
DBB

What about going out an just buying a monopod?

You don't need ANY head with a monopod, and I, who use a real good one, from time to time lean on it....:lol:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2005, 3:48 PM   #7
ys

I have the Gitzo 2220 and I love it , but I need a monopod .. a kind of hicking stick ( for mountain) ... which one will you suggest ?

thank you
ys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:02 AM   #8

Check out the Manfrotto line, good stuff.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:12 AM   #9
ys

thank you
ys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 5:05 PM   #10

I have been using a wading staff [use it for wading during fly-fishing] and it has worked out very well. The staff is a one piece 4' unit. I cup my hand on the top [knob] and hold my forearm parallel to the ground then rest my hand with the camera on my wrist. I only use this with my 300 lens. This helps to keep my eye on the subject waiting for it to reposition itself to my satisfaction. The staff also helps me to get around on some difficult terrain. [Bad knee]
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote