Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am using a Panasonic fz5 and this picture was taken at a 12x zoom. F4.O 1/250 ISO 200. I was reading the posts earlier and have been attracing many birds....especially when I'm looking from afar....the blind is a great idea.Thanks so much for any information.bentleysmom
Attached Images

bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2005, 11:31 AM   #2

bentleysmom

I don't see whole lot wrong with the photo. If you shot it at 12X you must have been a good distance from the subject. The exposure and focus are OK. My only suggestion would be to find a way to get closer. Most birds are small and seem to be constantly on the move. I'm finding that photographing birds is quite a challenge. Look into purchasing a blind, or if you are attracting them to your yard, spend as much time outside near the feeders and birds as you can. Once they get used to your presence, you will be closer and your subjects will not be so skittish. Most importantly...have fun. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 1:49 PM   #3

I noticed that you have an fz5 which, if I'm not mistaken is a 5Mp camera. The posted image is only 800x600 so I assume you reduced the image size to fit it on the web.

Sometimes you can achieve a more impressive web result if you do a full size crop...that is..cut out an 800x600 pixel block from the center of your original and post that. You could have the entire bird on the screen and it would appear as though you were much closer.

This is a full sized crop from a shot that is (as you might imagine) mostly concrete except for the sparrow in the center. The full size crop makes it look as though the little bird is filling the screen.

Meryl Arbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:55 AM   #4

Yes, you need to try and get closer. A closer crop will improve a shot but the closer you can get for the original the better crop you will get if you need to crop at all

I gave your photo an edit to show what I mean, I hope you don't mind

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:19 PM   #5

Hi, I want to thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I'm enjoying my 3week old fz5 and am slowly learning...it may take awhile but I plan to persevere....Thank you all for your time. bentleysmom
Old May 3, 2005, 9:30 PM   #6

What every has said is good, I'll just add something else instead of repeating.

You might find it useful to lower that bird feeder. As it stands (or at least as this pictures shows) the feeder looks to be a bit above eye level. The shots will look better.

Another thing to do is to give them some kind of perch near the feeder. The birds will often land on the perch before going to the feeder... and you can get a shot of them there in a more "natural-looking" environment.

For example, this shot is from a perch directly attached to my feeder by twist-ties:

as was this one:

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 7:58 AM   #7

Wow!! Eric, your pictures are fantastic!! I will keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks for your time. bentleysmom