Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old May 5, 2005, 7:04 PM   #1

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Daniel%20Bolton/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2005_0503Camaslilies/2005_0503Camaslilies0016.JPG[/img] I have been lucky enough to find several of natures creatures to photograph lately.
But I have alsobeen a dismal failure at one specific subject creature. The honey bee. I have been lucky enough to find several thousand, but unlucky enough to catch one in flight at the right speed without blurring. I took severalattempts yesterday, and 4 shots were close, but the bee never showed clearly. I tossed almost all of yesterdays shots out of frustration. What do I need to do to get this photo right?

Here is an example.
Attached Images

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2005, 10:29 PM   #2

I'm going to guess your camera ended up focusing on the plant instead of the bee. Are you using AI focus? I would recommend you use manual since the subject you really want to focus on is too tiny for the AI to pick up (or you need to be very still and perfectly target the object for the AI to work). I attached an image that I think was the problem, and may be the problem with all the other photos you've taken.

As an added idea (if not already done), ensure your shutter speed is faster than 1/200th a second to guarantee stillness with the bee's wings. That image looks as if there's also a blur from the wings.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 3:35 AM   #3

I think that luck and lots and lots of patience and continued efforts is necessary to take really good keepers of bees and things that are beautiful...but just don't want to hold still for us to compose and get focus.

I don't mind to have a camera setup with large depth of focus, so that you can see everything near and far...on my canon G6, I choose f8 and shutter speed of 1/500 sec or faster. To get the picture bright enough, I may have to use high ISO values, like ISO 200 or ISO 400 (unfort these higher ISO values can introduce noise....so maybe a DSLR camera might be better). I usually focus lock onto the plants where a bee (or bees) are hovering around....then keep the focus locked (remembering that my depth of focus is pretty good). When the bee hovers around a flower, I try to capture it by pointing to the target, hold steady, see the bee in my LCD, and then shoot. A burst mode could be useful too, but I've never used that before.

Anyhow, the LCD on my G6 in very bright sun light is next to useless because I can hardly see anything in it...the LCD picture gets wiped out by the light behind the screen. Using the viewfinder on my G6 isn't that good, because there's no time to put your eye into the viewfinder to take a look around. So a lot of patience and effort is needed to get the fantastic picture. Highest resolution mode might be useful too, so that you can do some photo editing later to keep only the parts that you want in the photo.

I haven't got any spectacular bee pics yet, but did take some photos of a carpenter bee, which is like a bumble bee in appearance, except it doesn't have the hairy bumble bee abdomen.
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 3:42 AM   #4

And this picture. I don't really like this picture because it looks like a painting instead of a photo...but that's the kind of result I got from the camera. In this photo, I think that's my reflection in the bee's eye hehe
Attached Images

Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote