Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Dec 22, 2002, 4:49 PM   #1

Default Motion Activated Shutter Release For Digital Camera

I need a motion activated shutter release for my Canon G3 digital camera. I have a deer feeder in my back yard. I see their tracks in the mud & snow, but, I rarely see the deer because they only come in the middle of the night.

I want to set my G3 on a tripod in the garage looking out the back window. I need a motion sensor to trip the shutter when the deer come up to the feeder.
Ron@gbg1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 12:38 PM   #2

The G3 can be remotely controlled from a computer. Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops make a deer counter that will give you an input to the computer. You would need to come up wiht a macro to actuvate the Canon program to take the photo when a deer passed. You would want to preset lighting, focus distance, etc Also you would probably want to take mulitple photos to get a good one.
DeMorcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 1:24 PM   #3

Default You would need to come up with a macro to activate the Canon

This sounds like a great way to do it. But, what is involved in coming up with the macro?
Ron@gbg1.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 8:48 PM   #4

Cnet has some macro programs to download. Basically once you d/l a program, you set up a trigger and then the the key strokes for what you want to happen on the trigger. It is not too hard to set up, but may take some experimentation. You do need to have the programs set up the same as when you made the macro. This usually means all programs you will use should be open and no others.
DeMorcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:24 PM   #5

Take a look at the PixController, http://www.pixcontroller.com. This should do what you need.
haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2003, 9:27 AM   #6

Default so..........

it isn't likely that you can take multiple pictures(with flash) in the middle of the night of a deer. the deer is gonna be scared out of its wits! so ............
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 8:44 PM   #7

Default Re: so..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
it isn't likely that you can take multiple pictures(with flash) in the middle of the night of a deer. the deer is gonna be scared out of its wits! so ............
This is not true. I built a homemade gamecam usin a Canon Elph a photosensor and a weatherproof box. I have numerous multiple pics of the same deer The motion sensor uses passive infrared to set off the camera. It will the record with a 10-30 second delay.
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:04 PM   #8

with a flash?! lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:28 PM   #9

Well, they sure like to pose for headlights, so why not eh?
limbiksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:03 PM   #10

I have taken many flash photos of deer over the last 40 years, most of the time they show curiosityrather than fear of the flash.
carrollhale is offline   Reply With Quote