Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old May 23, 2005, 7:25 AM   #1

I need some suggestion on capturing a moving object like bird etc. I'm using Canon S1 IS. Currently the Auto focus is set to `Single' (not Continuous). When I spot the bird in my frame, I press the shutter half way (takes 1-2 second) to let the camera focus on it. By this the time, the bird will be out of my frame. Please suggest a solution for this. Am I not doing the right way? Should I set my camera to Continuous Auto focus mode?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 4:33 PM   #2

Hi, I noticed a couple of posts relating to this in "Nature Shooting Techniques", so if you go there you may get some help. Good luck.
cock3tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 2:19 AM   #3

Glass wrote:
Quote:
I need some suggestion on capturing a moving object like bird etc. I'm using Canon S1 IS. Currently the Auto focus is set to `Single' (not Continuous). When I spot the bird in my frame, I press the shutter half way (takes 1-2 second) to let the camera focus on it. By this the time, the bird will be out of my frame. Please suggest a solution for this. Am I not doing the right way? Should I set my camera to Continuous Auto focus mode?
Setting to continuous autofocus is one thing you might attempt; it still may not work, depending on how sensitive the camera is. Using a P&S camera, the best alternative may be to set focus to manual, use shutter-priority and set to a speed that will assure stopping the bird in flight as you pan (depends on how much zoom you use), then set the manual focus to either the basic hyperfocal distance for the kind of aperture you're getting against the sky (it may differ somewhat due to changing apertures), or else to infinity, if the bird is far enough away. These are some basic things to try; adjust as necessary.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:22 PM   #4

Hi Glass-- if you have a multiple exposure mode on your camera you might try that.* You know-- a mode that fires off a picture every 1/2 second or so as long as you hold the shutter (up to 5 pcs on my Oly UZ770).* I've gotten some useful motion shots where I otherwise got nothin'.* I was able to composite this from one of my multi's:
Attached Images

Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote