Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Nature Shooting Techniques

Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:18 AM   #1

I've tried several times before to photograph lightning, but finally captured a couple bolts using a Canon S2 IS in fireworks mode. Viewing the EXIF data shows 2 second exposure at f8 with auto ISO. I didn't find any other lightning photos on this forum to see how others have done it.

I cropped the photo considerably (the shot was done at wide angle to increase the chance of a strike being in view) and lightened it by duplicating the background layer and using the screen mode.

Any suggestions for getting better results in the future? Thanks.
Attached Images

DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

I took some lightning pictures 2 days ago..

My settings were 16sec of exposure at F2.8 and Iso50-80....

Here are the pictures: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18

Boily
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3

I've been shooting thunderstorms in Missouri and Kansas for 20 years and in my opinion, the Pentax K1000 is the classic lightning shooting camera. I'm getting used to my Pentax istDL and lightning, but it has disadvantages. The bulb setting and a tripod are your friend when shooting lightning. You also do not need fast film or a high ISO, ISO 400 is plenty in most cases. With my most recent lightning shot I had to hold the shutter open for two minutes, but I've also shot in storms where bolts happened every few seconds. When that happened, it is usually time to head in. I shot the picture below back in March. Notice the bolt eminating from the television tower in the background. That tower is about seven miles away. Safety should always come first, but lightning is such a fun target to shoot I find myself taking some risks for the good shot.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:41 AM   #4

Thanks for your responses. Boily, your shots with the blue glow are really neat and jhacker's 25 second exposure gives the clouds a very interesting appearance.

I'll certainly use longer exposures for future attempts, and I'll try ISO 100 or maybe 200. ISO 400 at 15 seconds (the maximum exposure time for a Canon S2 IS) is entirely too noisy on the S2 IS - even ISO 200 at that long exposure is pushing it.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote