Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Jun 20, 2003, 9:35 AM   #1

Default CD_RW storing photos

I'm not sure just where to post this question. I've been thinking of buying a CD rewriter to store photos on and I was wondering if the brand might make a difference in the quality of the copies. Is one brand better than another for quality of the images I retrieve? Maybe a DVD copier (sorta out of my price range for now) would give me better quality? (I'm not familiar with DVD copiers but I'm assuming you can use them as a CD_RW)
flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:09 AM   #2

The only differences in CD rewriters is speed and how often it actually makes a good disk.

Speed seems to have maxed out at about 50-52x. This is an attribute of the cd media, not the drives themselves. The disks start to break apart when spun that fast.

The chance of getting a good disk has to do with your computer (how fast it is) and aspects of your drive (does it have burnproof (tm) or another similar feature.)

I suggest reading this:
http://www.cdrfaq.org/

It has more than you probably care to know, but its an amazing resource.

You should worry about the "quality" of the copy. In my experience the disk will either work or not, period. The quality of the images will be the same no matter what disk you use or what drive you use. A DVD will not give any better quality picture.

You can not use a DVD disk in a CD_RW. Some DVD Drives can burn cd's. If you did that, you could use that CD in normal CD drives.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:16 AM   #3

flash a cdrw can be had for about $55 today. lite on is used as an oem supplier for dell and others. for the money you can't go wrong.
www.egghead.com

also if your going to archive do a CDR not a RW disc. use the RW disc for work in progress
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote