Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Feb 23, 2008, 5:39 AM   #1

When are camera manufacturers going to treat their customers with respect.?I am interested at the moment in changing my car .Last year a dealer told me "there is a new model coming out in 08 with x features on it, it maybe worth waiting for?.I looked on the net and found photo's and description of the said model.Car makers regularly put details in publc of pending models.So why do the camera makers insist on keeping everybody in the dark until the last minute?.Dont tell me its about competition, as every market is competetive.Also we can all guess what changes are likely to be made.It would be nice to know about new models in advance so that we could decide whether or not to wait for them and not be treated like children.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:38 PM   #2

Good question. The only real answer I can come up with is that the development time for a new car model is substantially longer than that of a camera, and auto makers tend to rely more on in-house or exclusive outsource manufacturing, whereas camera makers mostly build their cameras around another maker's image sensor. (with some exceptions) Contracts with the maker could have something to do with it, as could the fact that the short development time could make it easy for another camera maker to copy an otherwise exclusive feature, if given the lead time.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote