Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Sep 17, 2008, 4:42 PM   #1

digital zoom's are always unusefull to me. but i was thinking on a enhanced way to zoom when shooting video on digital cameras.

i looked up on web and found nothing about it.

but it is very simple.. as you reach to upper limit of optical zoom, ccd starts to use less pixels and area as you keep zooming. it stops when it reaches exactly 640x480 active pixels. it equals about 24-28x real zoom on 7mp cameras ( with 5x optical ). i have a sanyo hd700 and when shooting hd720p it equals to 12-14x..

is this technology used on any cameras you know?
thisiswhatisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:31 PM   #2

not interested?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:18 AM   #3

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say. You have just described digital zoom.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 5:50 AM   #4

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
*I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say. You have just described digital zoom.

brian
are you sure? so look at the comparisons below. see the details i get in photo, technically i must be able to get them in video too. but i am not.

you can get the detail of photos on videos too "by using only necessary area on ccd"

so, as i see nobody have any idea. now, i am gonna apply for the patent soon : )
Attached Images

Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:51 AM   #5

The difference between still capture and video it that the video is more highly compressed, and what you are seeing is the difference between the compression algorithms of jpeg and whatever video codec your camera uses.

You wrote:but it is very simple.. as you reach to upper limit of optical zoom, ccd starts to use less pixels and area as you keep zooming.

that is digital zoom.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:49 PM   #6

this is 1280x720 still resized to 640pixels i don't think it is related with compression or algorithm.

when i make digital zoom while i am shooting video, the details does not increase. but actually it is supposed to increase almost three times. (1280 pixels in 3072 pixels)

i agree what you said but it only works in still captures. it does not in video, in any camera i have used.

i think you must experience yourself.

one more example below. the difference between photo and video increases much more in vga mode. if it would be related with compression it wouldnt increase.

i claim it is a streaming and processing problem and developers will overcome within next few years.
Attached Images