Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 26, 2009, 2:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
musket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,782
Default World's First 360 Digital Camera

World's First 360 Digital Camera

http://www.giroptic.com/product.php what will they think of next
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

http://www.giroptic.com is all you need, and it works.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:58 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
musket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
http://www.giroptic.com is all you need, and it works.
Thanks Bynx : I don't know what went went wrong with the first URL

I can see also that it covers 360 x 115 not 360 x 180 as is shown in some

virtual scenes viewable on the web. It must take a special lens and software to

cover that field of view

for a submersible VIDEO version http://www.tx-i.eu/

Last edited by musket; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:08 AM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

A milestone first in my life. Actually seeing a 360 degree moving image. Im sure going to miss a lot of good stuff when Im gone.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,193
Default

the 360 is a nice bit of kit it is a shame some one doesnt come up with one that slips into the hot shoe
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

My own impression of the advertising is that the camera doesn't take 360 shots, rather it takes a number of shots, which create some sort of proprietory format, which you then upload to their site and they return the 360 degree panorama.

I'll be happy to be corrected, but such is my impression.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
My own impression of the advertising is that the camera doesn't take 360 shots, rather it takes a number of shots, which create some sort of proprietory format, which you then upload to their site and they return the 360 degree panorama.

I'll be happy to be corrected, but such is my impression.

Dave
The first thing it says is Giroptic is the only 360 oneshot camera in the world. With its unique technology, a single photo is enough to capture an entire scene or room. Simple, fast and efficient, it is ideal for virtual tours. Looking at the camera you can see the curved mirror surface that is 360. I dont know anyone who has this camera but it sounds like it could be a profitable little beast to fill a much needed niche in the real estate or travelogue business. But you do point out something I failed to mention. The cost for viewing and storing. No matter how you want to do it, you must send your pictures to head office before you can use them.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
The first thing it says is Giroptic is the only 360 oneshot camera in the world. With its unique technology, a single photo is enough to capture an entire scene or room. Simple, fast and efficient, it is ideal for virtual tours. Looking at the camera you can see the curved mirror surface that is 360. I dont know anyone who has this camera but it sounds like it could be a profitable little beast to fill a much needed niche in the real estate or travelogue business. But you do point out something I failed to mention. The cost for viewing and storing. No matter how you want to do it, you must send your pictures to head office before you can use them.
Ahh, thanks for the correction. Your last sentence is still a deal breaker for me.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:55 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,584
Default

Ya I was really hot to trot on this camera. But its a deal breaker for me too. It might not be as bad as it sounds. But Im not going to spend a thousand dollars to find out.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:16 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Wayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,071
Default

There was an announcement a few years ago about this technology for security. Was interested in trying one, but low priority. There are variations on the theme, I think the Korean ones were the best. My local city uses fancy blend in hanging bulb security cameras, I wonder if they use these.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.