Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Left Hand

I own one of the few left hand operable SLR 35mm cameras ever produced...Konica F series had a left hand shutter add-on to the multifunction shoe on the left side...works great for we who cannot raise the right hand to our face (in my case) or don't have one at all (for many others). When will the digital camera industry address this population (left handed persons without such limitations would surely enjoy the choice)? To date all I have used is a Hitachi MP-EG1A which has the controls on the front (but, sadly is <1 mpxl and has no USB port and uses Type III pc cards which are tough to handle). Hitachi never made a higher resolution model...too bad! It appears a digicam with an RF remote would be one solution for we who can use the other hand but not raise it. But, that is not the best solution and often is unavailable as many digicams use IR remotes which must "look" at the camera, most often the front!
bubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2004, 6:29 AM   #2

Default Re: Left Hand

Quote:
When will the digital camera industry address this
Though in theory it sounds like a wonderful idea, it's unlikely you'll see it come about. Visualize a manufacturing plant, see its machinery and its assembly lines, then imagine how much retooling would be necessary and how many additional assembly lines might have to be added. Next, consider the cost of doing these things and then what the resulting cost of a left-handed camera might be. Businesses operate to make a profit, and if they don't make that profit, they go out of business, ending up with no products whatsoever for people to buy.

If your camera can use one, your best bet is to buy a cable release .
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:27 PM   #3

found this and it is good for me...the Panasonic SV-AS10 digital camera and video camera is in fact very Leftie friendly having 2 (YES TWO!!) shutter buttons on it and a rotating lens. It's 2mpxls, very small, very inexpensive, well rated...we're in business!!

take a look in 3d here:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G2CA15FE6

or just search on the panasonic website...
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:50 PM   #4

Glad you solved your problem.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 6:15 PM   #5

And they won't even think about right-handed but left-eye dominant people like me. I am right handed but my digital camera back always gets smudges from my nose due to the viefinder being in the left side and my predominant use of the left eye for framing. :shock:
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2004, 6:53 PM   #6

right! the Panasonic I spoke of has a little color screen...no viewfinder...
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:01 PM   #7

Hi!

I have M.S. and cannot use my right hand at all, I am very interested in finding a digital camera that has a left handed shutter. Do you know of any?

My email address is jany610@cox.net

I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Jan
Janetki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:08 PM   #8

The question is, what would the left handed digital be...a point and shoot pocket, midrange prosumer long zoom, or dSLR? Of course it would be more expensive due to its more limited market. If you look at the main left handed 35mm camera on the market, it's only a point and shoot:
http://www.lefthandedcamera.com/

You'd think that some camera makers could shape up and provide a screw on bracket that also plugs into the camera which could trigger the camera's shutter...the higher end ones already have attachments that add a second shutter release to high-end dSLRs when the camera is used in portrait mode so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

It would be a lot less expensive than producing a dedicated left-handed camera. There's still the left-eye issue, but that could also be easily fixed by extending the viewvinder back a bit and adding an eyecup.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:02 PM   #9
kex

I don't think a left-handed camera would sell that good.

I'm a lefty, too. But I do all the stuff with the right hand, too. Like using the mouse and of course photographing.

I never thought a left-handed camera would be a big help for me.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:29 AM   #10

Well i am ambidextrous, with a dominant right eye; I choose to use my left eye for photos since the contrast is better. I tend to do certain tasks nearly exclusively with one hand or the other. With a camera i am able to use my stronger left to support my cannon of a canon and my right to man the dials. Seems to work well for me; though i do commiserate with those who are fully left handed.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote