Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Sep 14, 2002, 1:32 AM   #1

Default Ok, let's start a discussion...

The Sigma SD9 is DOA. I just can't imagine ANYONE who is into photography, who would want this camera. And here's why (I used some of the below facts from my post on DPR):

1) Max ISO 400
2) Multiple batteries which reminds me of the S2. You can't recharge these from what I read on the specs, these are your only options.
3) Battery grip only accepts CR-V3 batteries too.
4) Continous Mode Shooting - Very limited and virtually useless:

"LOW mode (756x504 pixels) x3 allows consecutive shooting of more images..." - as per Sigma's website

Why the hek would you want continous mode shooting in this resolution? What is this, a WebCam? An expensive one at that, which brings me to my next problem.

5) Sigma is touting the SD9 as something that will be competitive with the D60 and D100, and even the S2. Why? With an MSRP of $3000, it's sure no P&S. Unless Sigma reduces that price by 50%, they are intending the SD9 to compete with the other 3 cameras.

And my next point. If you were a professional, which camera would you choose?

a) SD9
b) D60
c) D100
d) S2

If you look at the specs, the first camera is a joke (and the fourth one too, but not as much, if you must know my opinion).

6) Sigma-Mount Lenses only

Now this really sucks. You have a camera that is "ground-breaking" and you are limited to lenses from Sigma. Anyone who has done a Sigma purchase is well aware that you are taking a blind shot at getting a good lens. I know a few people off the top of my head that had to go through 3 lenses to get the right one that worked properly. The Sigma 50-500 may be an exception, but for their wide-angle lenses and zoom lenses, you better go to your local and try them out versus buying online.

Whoever is going to buy a SD9, I feel sorry for them.

Comments appreciated...
Jason Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2002, 3:40 PM   #2

info is a little off. on the msrp. it has never been officially given

on the lenses. i have a 28-70 f2.8 ex. excellent on the first try im just plain lucky.

got the older 70-210 f2.8 apo it works just fine too.

what your discussing here is a product that just isn't there yet so the point is moot. all those values you worked so hard to collect are not valid. it's all subject to change or cancellation completely. it has been a year without any word so you could be right except for DOA. try DBA-dead before arrival.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 5:56 PM   #3

The info is on Sigma's website. If there is other info to be produced, I'd love to see it. btw, I emailed Sigma about the price and that's what they told me. It's also on Phil's DPR site as the MSRP too.

The values I worked day and night until my thumbs were purple and blue to produce, actually took a few minutes.

This could be the mootiest discussion, but, for people who are thinking of buying one, it won't be so moot when they fork out their money and find out they have a useless camera in their hands.

As to the lenses, you really are lucky.
Old Sep 14, 2002, 7:15 PM   #4

i apologize. their nuts unless they have something up their sleeves. the info is old stuff from almost a year ago. i have a feeling that the US office is being left in the dark. now you sparked my interest.

i tried out the 2nd gen unit they had which comprised of a canon mount aon a housing a little larger than an F5 body. this of course was attached via firewire to a laptop which served as a controller and super cf card. the images were nothing less than remarkable. 1600% mag had little affect on the image quality. no moire none on basket weave fabric shots.

we shall see someday
Old Sep 15, 2002, 3:51 AM   #5

Default Photokina 2002 - I hope something happens

Well, I hope something comes out of Photokina. Olympus and Sigma are my two interests. In a few weeks, we'll know--I hope.

FYI:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3376754

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by Jason Busch]

[Edited on 9-15-2002 by Jason Busch]
Old Sep 21, 2002, 10:04 PM   #6

theres the price difference i thought it would have. a clean $1200 off to put it in the same field as the rest. now lets see if people will bite on it now.
Old Sep 21, 2002, 11:39 PM   #7
NHL

The price is on par now:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2402

The question is can they sell 3x3.42Mpixels against real 11Mpxels (albeit at 3x the cost...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 12:16 AM   #8

only the market will tell
Old Sep 22, 2002, 6:57 AM   #9
NHL

We already have the Canon/Nikon diehards that will reject this camera based on brand alone, regardless of how good it's lenses can be. It's even a heresy if the system will cost less, since it has to be cheaply made by deduction, or it just doesn't 'feel right'.

Folks that are used to 3rd party Tamron/Tokina... will have no problem and will judge this camera on merit alone.

No mattert what and there's no doubt about it this Foveon sensor will be controversial and will create a lot of arguments!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2002, 9:13 AM   #10

hey don't forget that other 3rd party lens maker sigma. i have 2 of those.