Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Nov 4, 2002, 7:40 PM   #11

New member - first post

I would have thought that there is no point in re-using the camera body, as all the technology is alien to digital photography - film transport and counter, exposure systems not integrated etc. A better solution would be for somebody to produce a digital camera that accepts our existing 35mm lenses, This would be a digital camera body. Is this what Nikon do with the digital slrs
Duncan Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 6:36 PM   #12

I'm kinda with Steve on the 'don't hold your breath' on this, but I also think it's a great idea, if they can pull it off.

Right now a digital SLR has an entry price of about $2000. So converting your existing SLR to digital for about $600 is a cost effective idea. In addition, there is a large installed base of film SLR's.

Also, consider the speed with which digital photography is advancing. This year we have the 6MP DSLR's available, and no sooner than they were, Kodak anounces a 14MP DSLR. So consider the upgrade costs.

If you can upgrade your film SLR digital sensor for $500 or $600, that is much cheaper than dropping $5000 for the new Kodak.

I do think the potential is there. Whether they can make it a reality remains to be seen. I will watch and wait.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 7:51 AM   #13

I'm fairly knew to digital photography, and I cant see this happening.
Bigwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 2:40 AM   #14

I too think that this idea probably wouldn't be feasible, or very marketable for that matter, but would love to see it happen. This way I could get a canon eos ti and a few lenses and still get digital images, plus (if this design is versatile to fit all sorts of slrs) i might be able to put it in my old oly om-10 so i could use it with out having to pay for film.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 4:06 AM   #15

And by the time the technology will be available to do this, there will be no point.
Bigwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:27 PM   #16

Any time I see the term "uniquely positioned" used by the "wholly owned subsidiary" of a "Nevada corporation" which is "seeking investors", my strong inclination is to run as fast as I can in the opposite direction. My guess is that Joe had a monetary interest in starting this thread; however, if he'd like to answer some probing questions, I'll be more than happy to ask them.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:57 PM   #17

Whatever happen to this product anyhow.
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 7:23 PM   #18

i hate to put it this way: Guess? money in nothing out.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:36 PM   #19

Lucky,

Let me ABSOLUTELY CLEAR about this...

I did NOT/do NOT get ANYTHING from Silicon Film. DO I MAKE MYSELFCLEAR?

Originally, I thought it sounded like a good product. But, I have beentrying for two years to get ANY info from them without much success. They are claiming its all proprietary info and can't be made public...yet. They are working with some MAJOR camera manufacturer and say anything. I started really sounded like BS.

So I gave up.

JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:21 AM   #20

Yeah, Joe, I believe you were merely duped by Silicon Film. Unfortunately, your first post sounded much like the parroting of the investor relations guys for these sleazy scams. I apologize for reacting so strongly and so negatively toward you.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote