Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:51 AM   #21

Apology accepted.

I just thought it would be nice to backup my D100 with my old reliable N70 w/e-film.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:18 PM   #22

do you think we can call this a dead issue now?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 4:58 PM   #23

Maybe not quite dead, I am new to all this but have noticed that the unit consists of two main parts, the cartridge which goes in the camera, and the display/memory/battery unit slung under the camera. Would it not be better for the users of older slr's to just produce a cartridge that could store the images on its own internal memory with its own button cell power supply and do away with the screen/memory/battery unit all together, it would be a lot cheaper, a lot less bulky and the unit could be plugged into a usb port to get the images, after all, don't the images usually end up on a pc or mac anyway. I toyed around with this idea a while back, but found i could't get it small enough from the componants that were available at the time, but now it should be possible, I mean, look what they can fit in a cell phone today!
riggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:24 PM   #24

Well actually i think this subject is dead, as the technology has moved on, as you are correct in saying. But i think that the cost of Digital SLR's has come down in value that a product such as this is obsolete, or only corners a very small part of the market, so small that it would be damaging to the business if such a product was developed.

So yes technology has developed, the Sony K750i being the perfect example, a phone that gives focused 2mp pictures in unbelievable, but i think this idea is one that has been long since buried, kodac for exmple did a converter for their SLR cameras, but they were pulled due to low purchasing.

Leave it in the past and lets move on from this discussion!
Richard 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 4:37 PM   #25

Well, the idea might look great. But, what if I have a film Pentax SLR for example? What is better, to buy a Pentax *ist DS or similar which uses the same lenses as the film SLR. This will cost me under $600USD and guarantees me excellent results. Why would I buy a "fix" for my normal SLR camera which costs me the same as a new camera?

I would pay like $200USD for such a kind of solution, paying more is like throwing away money in my opinion.

Regards
schmiedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:26 PM   #26

LOL man this thread was resurrected from the dead! started on Sep 16th, 2002 :P

I remember thinking I'd look for one for my AE-1 back in 2001 I'd still be waiting :-)this thread was running back then

http://www.acecam.com/photography/1136.html
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 6:28 AM   #27

I think This a very Feasable idea, now can or will the company pull it together?

There is no problem of getting signal out of the case, current technology has ultra thin and tough, (semi-tough) multi conductor connectors, ribbon type, that could be toughened up and allow to go out of the case without consequence.

A replacement back could be designed or the unit can be simular to the 1.3 megapixel film cartridge type that is displayed earlier in this thread in the sample photos.

I would enjoy the ability to open the case anc clean the ccd surface, which is not feasable with todays digital units

And finally, you cannot compare this digital technology to any common digital camera out there, Single Lense Reflex, (Through the lense viewing and focus), as previously mentioned is rather expensive today, and the optics of yesteryear are in many cases superior to that in use in the SLR's being made today. I for one would love to see this product come to market, but again will they do it, I only hope someone does, I have awaited this opportunity for years, to use my good ole lenses and body without film and developing costs.

I say, it is about time someone did it!

Just one guy's opinion
azjimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 6:20 PM   #28
Administrator

azjimc wrote:
Quote:
I think This a very Feasable idea, now can or will the company pull it together?
You've got to be kidding.

Nice looking PR, never came to market, company now in Vegas. :lol:

Quote:
There is no problem of getting signal out of the case, current technology has ultra thin and tough, (semi-tough) multi conductor connectors, ribbon type, that could be toughened up and allow to go out of the case without consequence.
How are you going to interface it to the camera for shutter actuation, correction of viewfinder for differences in image circle size using smaller sensors compared to 35mm film (full frame sensors are very cost prohibitive), or interface the metering sensors and exposure controls to the digital back if it's generic?

Backs have been done before. Minolta actually designed some 640x480 resolution backs years go and included specs in some of their literature. They were designed specifically for their Maxxum 7000 and 9000 models.

It never made it past the prototypes stage.

That kind of thing takes a lot of development to integrate to a specific camera. A generic back? Hah.

Some of Kodak's DSLR models were based on Nikon Film SLR models. Again, they were designed to integrate with specific bodies. A lot of development effort goes into doing that.

Leica took *years* to work the kinks out of their new Digita-Modul-R back, designed only to work with the Leica R8 and R9 models, before they were finally able to bring it to market. It took a lot of work for them to get it working correctly with these two Leica models.

You can get one now:

Leica Digital-Modul-R at B&H for $5.950.00

Quote:
I would enjoy the ability to open the case anc clean the ccd surface, which is not feasable with todays digital units
Huh? A digital point and shoot model uses a permanently attached lens. Because it's permanently attached, that helps to protect it. It's relatively rare to need to clean the CCD on a model like this (with some exceptions, like certain Sony models that apparently had a QC problem).

With a DSLR model, you can easily clean the CCD. They have a menu function that locks the mirror up to get to it.

Quote:
And finally, you cannot compare this digital technology to any common digital camera out there, Single Lense Reflex, (Through the lense viewing and focus), as previously mentioned is rather expensive today, and the optics of yesteryear are in many cases superior to that in use in the SLR's being made today.
You can use lenses from popular 35mm SLR models on Digital SLR models, too. LIke their film counterparts, you do have through the lens viewfinders with a DSLR.

Quote:
I have awaited this opportunity for years, to use my good ole lenses and body without film and developing costs.
What kind of "good ole lenses" do you have? Chances are, you could use them on one of the entry level DSLR models, and if you don't have lenses that would attach directly, a number of adapters for them are available.

IOW, buy a DSLR. Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, and Konica Minolta have made entry level DSLR models selling for under $1,000. Street prices on some are down to around $500 now. Given adjustments for inflation, that's about what an entry level film SLR would have cost you. Now, prices on them are lower, because nobody is buying them. ;-)

I don't see a way to bring a product like a generic Digital Back to market. IMO, you'd need to make far too many compromises to get it to work at all, unless it was designed for a specific camera model, and I don't see where it could possibly be a cost effective solution, compared to just buying a DSLR with far less compromises (since you wouldn't need to worry about the integration piece).

Quote:
I say, it is about time someone did it!

Just one guy's opinion
Sounds like a sales pitch to me.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:33 PM   #29

Phase one digital backs have been doing the same thing for medium format

film cameras for some time now, with up to 45 megapixel backs to replace

the film in medium fomat cameras :idea:

http://www.phaseone.com/

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 9:36 AM   #30

And there have been digital backs for 4x5" cameras even longer, albeit scanning. Since large format cameras and most medium format cameras are built with changable backs, that says nothing about being able to do the same for most 35mm cameras.

Even if this company didn't start out as a scam, it is one now.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote