Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Sep 16, 2002, 2:08 PM   #1

Default Digital Binoculars

I was wondering if there are any out there. If so please list products or website where I can obtain more info.

Thanks in advance
ShutterBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2002, 4:37 PM   #2

i have a question to pose:
do we really need battery powered binoculars?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 4:48 PM   #3

No,but we got them. Canon makes image
stabilized binoculars.
John Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:31 PM   #4

battery powered yes. digital, no i'm afraid not. it is the same stabilizing tech used in the lenses. completely analog in operation moving parts and all.

it's real bad when i can't hold a set of 8x25 reasonably steady.

[Edited on 9-17-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:50 AM   #5

Default Yes, there really are Digital Binoculars

I saw some the other day in a magazine. It not only had the binocular but it also had like a little viewing screen that you look at if you did not want to use the eye pieces. Unfortunately I did not catch the brand but it was price in the $300+ range. If you are REALLY interested there is the Pentax Digibino DB100 digital camera/binoculars.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:58 PM   #6

If by "digital binoculars" you mean binoculars with a built-in digital camera, yes - there are numerous models available.

There is an up and down side to this technology. The up side is that you always have the opportunity to shoot what you are seeing through the binoculars. The down side is that if you use full resolution you are quite likely to have motion blur. It's difficult to hand hold at extended focal lengths and get usable results.

A few months ago I researched all available binoculars with digital acquisition capabilities and finally decided that the Meade CaptureView 8x42 offered the best overall solution. I bought a pair ($175.00) at Ritz and found the following:

The optics are excellent. 8x is a good working power for many applications and 42mm objectives give much more light than the typical 8x25, etc. The digital camera has a maximum of 2 megapixel native resolution and the option of automatically interpolating to 3 megapixels. If you can hold the binoculars really steady and have good lighting, the images are fairly nice. Not up to a good 2 megapixel digital camera such as the Olympus C2100UZ standards, but definitely usable. The camera also allows the user to capture at lower resolutions and truthfully, you will have much less motion blur and better results if you use the lower resolution settings. The down side is that you have no control over either aperture or shutter speed so if the subject is moving you will most likely get motion blur even if you pan. There is a USB connect to download, and the camera also takes Secure Digital or MultiMedia cards up to 250 meg size. I use a 250 meg Secure Digital card with mine. Compression on the files is fairly severe so though you can get lots of photos (uses 2 AA batteries) you will not get super clean, artifact free images.

Here's are sample images links for anyone who is interested.

http://www.lin-evans.net/meade/meade.jpg

http://www.lin-evans.net/meade/captureview.jpg

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:39 AM   #7

Lin Evans wrote:
Quote:
... The camera also allows the user to capture at lower resolutions and truthfully, you will have much less motion blur and better results if you use the lower resolution settings. ...
Is there an advantage to doing the downsizing in camera instead of doing it later with software? Seems there would be more options if the original was taken at the highest possible resolution, "averaging" pixels later if needed.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:07 PM   #8

Probably no substantial difference between downsizing post capture and using the lower resolution capture modes except our "awareness" that problems exist with the image and whatever effect that may have on us.

I remember years ago when Sony released their first affordable "pro" digicam, the DKC-ID1. This camera had tremendous "features" including SCSI interconnect, 12x optical zoom, great macro capabilites and resolution a bit under 800x600 pixels. Surprisingly enough, I never had a motion blur image with the ID1 even though I shot rodeo action, sports and lots of low light images which would likely have produced motion blur with nearly any of my current dSLR's.

Looking back on those images I realize that could they be enlarged to 4 megapixel dimensions, there may indeed have been many deficiencies revealed, but that type enlargement was never an option nor did I even think about it.

Shooting at less than full resolution with the binocular camera has the advantages of letting the user takea tremendousnumber of shotsper 256 meg SD card and have the pleasure of having captured lots of frames to pick and choose from. In all fairness, the images are not going to beof any great photographic quality simply because(in this case - the CaptureView 8x42) they will all be 400mm telephoto shots and made with a very simple digital instrument.At best they are simply "snapshots" andhaving the camera built into the binocular is more of a convenience gimmick than anything resembling serious photographic intent.

From a theoretical perspective I believe you are absolutely correct that one would "always" want to avail themselves of the maximum resolution available, but from the practical perspective I've simply set my resolution to1 megapixel and don't agonize over the potential loss.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:35 PM   #9

sjms wrote:
Quote:
i have a question to pose:
do we really need battery powered binoculars?

I would have to answer "yes". I have a pair of Canon stabilized binoculars and they are excellent. A neighbor has a more expensive pair of Leicas and you can make out small details with the Canons you can't with his. The Leicas are brighter with larger objective lenses, but surprisingly you can make out detail in dim light with the stabilization you can't make out with the Leicas as well. Your eyes have a harder time dampening out the movement in limited light for some reason.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:51 AM   #10

I know this post is a few years old and "ShutterBug" seemed to disappear after that one post, but I feel that the answers need to be more up to date and comprehensive, so I'm gonna give it a whirl.

The armed forces have been using high quality 'binos' with an optical image stabilizer since at least the late 80's if not earlier, and back then only the snipers, recon, and special forces could get their paws on them.

Today I see a similar type of IS-Binos are available to the general public here:
http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegoryId=10523

Now If you want to take photos with your binos I know that Bushnell had some they called Instant Replay.
I've also seen some no-name bino-cams at some stores and they are usually under $75 which are junk. imo

Whichever your looking for I'd just call up all 3 major companies that make them: Nikon, Canon, Bushnell.

I think Pentax, Olympus, Zeiss also made binoculars that may be image stabilized, and it couldn't hurt to call them too.

And just incase that long URL above gets messed up, here's that website's main page.
http://www.henrys.com/
JH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote