Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Sep 28, 2002, 4:41 PM   #1

Default combi video and digicams

Hi, i noted recently that some digital video cams are now making a noise about being megapixel. i also note cmos sensors about 12megapix now starting to appear on hi-end digicams; anyone got an idea when a reasonable dual-use camer will appear? i guess min 3 megapix, in still mode at least, but a suitable storage medium to take video's; real ones not 30 second clips. perhaps a normal tape, with good stills ability? anything available pls?

tks
kieranf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2002, 5:10 PM   #2

opinion only- you've got to realize that though they seem the same ther are 2 different technologies at work here.

video tech is scan tech relying on persistance of vision(POV) to fill in the gaps on a fairly low rez image(yes even HDTV). it is actually lower bandwith technology.

digiphoto is much more processor intensive for the level of quality and clarity to make 1 single frame at the higher resolutions.

yes it will occur probably within the next 2-7 years depending on level of quality. video is at the 1+ MP for image using ccd tech. with cmos now coming out of the woodwork. this should accelerate the movement for 2 for1 cameras. improvements are made monthly in this technology.

the first hump has finally been rolled over. full frame Dslrs.

[Edited on 9-28-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 6:28 PM   #3

I suspect this is the where the Foveon chip will come to the fore. Being able to trade-off resolution against time between "shots" looks like just what is needed to be able to switch between high resolution stills and lower resolution video.

I also suspect sjms's estimate of 2-7 years might not be far off.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote