Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1

As far as I know, nothing like this has been made yet.

Anyway, it would simply be a GPS device built into the camera. It be useful if you are hiking with your camera taking nature shots.

Now oyu might be wondering why even to bother with it. But lets say you have many thousands of pictures, and you haven't sorted them well. And seeing as going though each picture and figuring out where it was and all that, what if the EXIF had the location already in it?

That is where the GPS idea comes in. It would simply record where you are when the picture was taken. So it simplifes the sorting process. And perhaps it could also have software (after it is all on the computer) which would then figure out the name of the location. So if you took a lot of pictures at Zion Nation Park but had failed to sort them (all too easy with these 4GB memory cards, especially on long vacations), it could even make a folder for each location and put the photos in accordingly.

Oh, and perhaps also have a mapping system in it also, but that is pushing it a little (there isn't much processing power inside a camera, at least for that type of stuff).

Anyway, what do you think of the idea (has it been done already?), would you actually pay extra money for it?
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:49 PM   #2

Too late, already made and available. :-)

see other thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...;highlight=gps

Link to Ricoh camera with built in GPS http://www.geospatialexperts.com/ricoh.html

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:53 PM   #3

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Too late, already made and available. :-)

see other thread [ur][http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...&highlight=gps[/url]
Oh well, at least I thought of it myself .

I wonder if it will ever actually catch on. Wifi in cameras is something that should have been made more common a long time ago, and it sohuld be widespread by now. So if it is taking this long for Wifi to catch, GPS probably won't...
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 7:57 PM   #4

Trouble with WiFi in cameras is the cost.

Canons is a 2500$cdn option. If it is to catch on it needs to come down to affordable levels, like the 35$cdn wifi card in my PC or my 50$cdn WiFi router. I'd pay a reasonable amount maybe 100$cdn for the option, but not 2500$cdn. That would pay for a very nice lens :-).
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 3:09 PM   #5

GPS is coming to cameras. It's already in some PDAs. You can now buy CF cards with Bluetooth, and you can buy Bluetooth GPS in CF format/hardware, BUT, will anyone yet be able to make that work within a camera instead of a PDA? Some cameras can work with scripts written on the memory cards, so the camera would have to interpret the CF card setup properly. Sounds like a great opportunity for a CF/GPS manufacturer (with or without Bluetooth). Sure to happen eventually.

Ricoh has the Caplio Pro G3 with GPS, a 35-105 electric zoom, uses SD cards. Shop around, but this feature in cameras is extremely rare.

Do you want the GPS of the camera or the object in the photo? Laser rangefinders with compass/azimuth reading a necessary for the latter. If you use software to match a GPS reading to the photo, the camera has to know the exact second the photo was taken. If you only have it down to the minute, the pace of photo taking per hour has to be slow, obviously.
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:43 PM   #6

If a camera has a GPS receiver built in, it has access to accurate time well below a second. No need to set the time and date on these cameras.
dalesyk is offline   Reply With Quote