Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > New Technology

Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:02 AM   #1

Photos displayed on my Dell 17 inch CRT just didn't seem to cut it anymore after I got my Canon 20D.

My photos looked sharper and more saturated on my LAPTOP with it's SVGA+ TFT display.

I'm thinking about getting a 17 inch Samsung 173P LCD flat screen for my tower PC. The Samsung has a contrast ratio of 700:1 and 250 "nits" brightness.

With best quality in mind, which display technology do photographers prefer to view their pictures?

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:39 AM   #2

Depends on what you are looking at, buta goodCRT will out perform a good LCD until you get into the high range of LCD's like the LaCie's photon or 321 monitors.

A good CRT from ViewSonic or LaCie will cost less than half for the same size LCDscreen and visually perform much better. That said I replaced mycrt's with a SamSung 19" LCD when it came time because IMHO the image was "good enough" for me, and I got back a huge amount of desk real-estate.

Also with LCD's you get a the full viewable area, with CRT's you pay for a 19" inch screen and get 17" or 18" inch viewable area.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:59 AM   #3

my wife has a 173P. i dialed in the colors a little better with a spyder. it was actually real close out of the box w/o calibration. it is a real good screen. also now thr have a no dead pixel warranty. the price has gone down too. the 25ms time is ok for photo work gets a little ghosty with watching full screen video though.

ai do not advise any 19in screens due to thr fact that 98% of the manufacturers just seen to increase the pixek pitch/size to get it there. the final native resolution is the same as a 17in.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

My "dream" setup includes an Apple 20" or 23" flat panel for photo editing plus a smaller (cheaper?) flat panel next to it to extend the viewing area - keep the picture on the Apple display and palettes etc on the smaller display.

Just about any serious graphic artist, including those using Photoshop, will be working on the Apple displays - the Apple Cinema displays in particular render colours beautifully. They are basically DVI connections, so you can easily hook them up to your PCI if you have a digital output on your graphics card.
nevillec is offline   Reply With Quote