Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:36 PM   #11

I have also heard the 1/focal length thing. That is a pretty good measurement to go by, but it isn't entirely true. If you have a steady hand, you can shoot at say... 600mm with only 1/200 shutter speed. People general seem to be very pessimistic about how slow you can have the shutter. I am an amateur and have shot 432mm with 1/10th, and I only get blur about half the time, and at 1/20th, blur just isn't an issue.

Jeeky wrote:
Thanks Morag2, I appreciate the input.

I don't have image stabilization on my camera or lenses.

I read that you need a shutter speed of about 1/focal length, so at 200mm, I would need around 1/200? I guess that's for freezing movement, so for landscapes and elephants I can get away with slower?

Maybe a higher ISO setting will be enough for those action shots? Do people use tripods on safari?

Do people use polarizing filters with telephoto lenses?

It's a lot to digest, and mostly academic for me right now. I guess I need to get out there and try some things out instead of just talking about it heh? :idea:
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:12 AM   #12

OK, I ended up getting the Bogen-Manfrotto 679 monopod with 3232 swivel head, which was recommended by many in these forums, and was a good price at Adorama.

Thanks for all the advice, hopefully I'll have a few nice shots to bring home with me. :-)

Jeeky is offline   Reply With Quote