Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Sep 24, 2006, 10:59 PM   #1

Is it safe to say that on DSLR cameras that the factor for converting the lens is to multiply by 1.5 except on Olympus where you would multiply by 2? I read these posts pretty religiously and it seems that I picked that up somewhere. If this isn't correct, can somebody please give me a list of the crop factors for the major manufacturers? My second question is how do I ascertain EXIF data on pictures I see posted to this site? Is there a procedure to use? Thanks.
bob1841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

If you want to determine what focal length lens you'd need to use on a 35mm camera to give you the same angle of view you have with a given focal length on a DSLR, you'll find a "Lens Multiplier" column in our DSLR Cameras list here for models we've reviewed:

As you can see, it does vary between models. Models using a Sony sensor (Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Konica Minolta) do use a 1.5x multiplier. But, most Canon models have a slightly smaller sensor (1.6x multiplier), and Canon also has models with larger sensors (some have 1.3x and some don't need a multiplier for comparison purposes). Some of the discontinued Kodak models don't need one either (some have 35mm film size sensors).

The Foveon sensor in the Sigma DSLR models is about half way in between the sensor size used in Sony and Olympus models (1.7x multipler for Sigma DSLRs). Olympus DSLR models use the smallest sensors (hence, their 2x multiplier).

As for EXIF, it's in the images if the forum member posting an image left it in them (and some editors strip it out).

You'd need to use a tool to read it if it's there. Many popular images editors can see EXIF information. So, one way to see it is to download the images and look at them with an editor that's capable of seeing EXIF (for example Irfanview ).

Even Windows can see EXIF in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). You can right click on an image, select Property, Summary, Advanced and see it (but, some things are missing from Microsoft's EXIF viewing features).

Another popular product to view EXIF is Opanda IExif . This product can work inside of a browser (right click on an image, and you'll see a new menu choice to view EXIF).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2006, 11:40 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate the information and thanks for such a speedy reply.
bob1841 is offline   Reply With Quote