Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jun 7, 2003, 1:45 AM   #1
Default s400, D-40, C-50?

Hello all

This website has great reviews, but I was wondering if anyone could provide insight on a comparison between the C-50, D-50, and the Canon S400. I've had the Canon S100 for about a year, but the LCD has cracked, and besides I would like greater resolution in order to be able to print out at least 8x10's.

I would spring the extra $ to get a C-50 over a D-40, but the things potentially holding me back are the lack of the remote control IR access from the back, and the lack of the night image fixer-function. On the other hand, the D-40 is impaired by the fact that it is slightly bulkier (true?) and that smartmedia cards only come in 128mb sizes. What other factors do you think should enter a consideration between the C-50 and the D-40? Which do you feel has truer color and saturation without any fiddling of the dials?

The thing that draws me to the S400 is the cheap and easy availability of huge CF cards (512mb's are going for 85 dollars on eBay) as well as the three minute video clip capability (although of course, I wanted great video I should buy a real DVCam, but still, 3 minutes is a lot nicer than 30 seconds). However, on my S100 I have noticed that there is something slightly off about the picture quality, it is not as vivid and crisp as I would like. I was wondering which between the Canons and the Olympuses have traditionally had the truer picture quality.

Any help would be appreciated, as I would like to purchase one soon for a family trip that is coming up.

mauricechung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links