Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:36 PM   #1

Hey everybody, let me first say I am so glad I found this site! Now on to my question. I am taking pictures for a wedding in november. I need as much help as i can so first offI just want any tips you guys have learned and thenI will post a couple questions in a couple days if you guys could help me out it will calm my nerves greatly because...wowI am SO nervous!!! Thanks a bushel! Adiosas

alceve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:42 PM   #2

A search of the forums will bring up many threads on shooting a wedding. Here is a recent one: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...d=2&page=1
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:24 AM   #3

November in Utah...OK, safe guess it's not an outdoor wedding. While I find they're few and far between,a fewtraditional venues (church, synagogue, cathedral, etc.) still do not allow the use of flash photography during the ceremony. A good point to check out first. No matter what gear you're using (you haven't mentioned) it's a good idea to carry a backup. For myself I have an extra body/lens/flash in the bag; just in case.

From your post it sounds like this may be the first wedding you've shot. Is it a "pro' gig, for a friend or a little of both? While I do both, I have made it a point to keep in force a business insurance policy geared for photographers. Covers you for errors and omissions. It's good to look into a policy as I have found several venues for receptions (country clubs, banquet halls, etc.) REQUIRE business insurance for any outside contractor coming into the facility. Admittedly, this is mostly for DJ services (liability for people tripping over cables, hot lights causing a fire, etc.) but a few do ask to have all persons from outside the facility to be covered.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:25 AM   #4

Hello Ali.....
I guess its a bit late for this advise but I will mention it anyway...You should have gotten with a wedding photog and shadowed him for a few weddings to learn the tips and tricks...I started shooting weddings about 6yrs ago and for the first 5 or so did go with a photographer to learn...Most are ok with you going because they get the luxury of seeing your shots and using them if needed...Anyway, since your getting close, my advise would be to relax as much as you can, have fun with the bride and the wedding party...If you join in as if your part of the wedding it helps to keep everyone stay relaxed...Never let them see your "ut oh" side...Meaning, if you miss a shot, dont panic...
Remember this, you are one camera and cant be in all places at once...90% of the ceremony can be recreated...Some preachers dont allow flash durning the ceremony and that may take some pressure off you...Afterwards you can recreate the moment...
Shoot as much "photojurnalistic" style as you can...I know you have to do posed shots but the best are the non posed...Shoot a ton of pictures...The odds are in your favor
with bunches of shots...
Equipment......I have two complete camera setups...This is a must...At least have a back up body to switch to...If needed...Knock on wood, so far I havent needed the back up but you do need one...
Lenses......Low light lenses are pretty much a must for most churches...Or you will spend hours in photoshop editing...
I use center focus when I shoot a wedding and focus on the subjects face...You get better colors this way...If you focus on the black tux you will burn out the rest of the shot and if you focus on the white wedding dress you will have mostly black faces...
Be aware of your ISO setting to...400 or higher inside a dark chruch...
Have I scared you enough...hehehehe....
Again, the main thing, have fun, shoot lots of pictures and trust your camera....
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:07 PM   #5

You didn't mention if you are the primary photographer or if they have a professional hired and you are the backup. If you are the primary photographer, the best advice and the advice that no one seems to take is "DON'T DO IT". But since you are probably already committed. You didn't mention what equipment you have, but you should have a back of just about everything. Be sure and attend the rehearsal if you can and get to know the wedding coordinator if they have one. This will give you a good idea of where you need to be and when. Get a list of shots the couple wants, this is usually a pretty impossible list but assure them that you will get as many as you can, but things happen fast and it is difficult to get them all. No flash durring the ceremony as the others stated, and a good rule of thumb is you should never move closer than the last person seated. There are exceptions to that though depending on your relationship with the couple. For the pre-ceremony and after ceremony formal pictures, you should at minimum have a good hot shoe flash preferablly mounted on astrobeframe. A good set of strobes with softboxes would be better, but not everyone has these. The flash will also come in handy if you are also going to be doing shots at the reception. Also durring the ceremony if you have the back up body you can mount a wide angle lens on one body and a telephoto zoom on the other, both should be fast lenses, remember, no flash. And have your equipment ready, don't be reaching into a camera bag that has velcro or loud zippers durring the ceremony. If there was ever a profession that Murphy's Law applied to, it is wedding photography. It is not if something will go wrong, it's when, so be prepaired for anything.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Good luck, you will need it.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"David
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:02 PM   #6

A few other suggestions.

Try to get your hands on a few wedding albums, from relatives and close friends, and study those.

Also, ask to got to the wedding rehearsal so you can get a layout of the facility.

Make sure you and your equipment are ready to go. Preparation is paramount.

Good luck!
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:50 PM   #7

I agree with Caboose, DON'T DO IT - run away to a Tibetan monistary instead. If you are worried about the political unrest in that part of the world, there are some isolated monistaries on small Greek islands that will do.

But since you are not going to listen to that advice, make sure you are not the only one taking pictures. Even if that means buying a bushel of disposable cameras and handing them out - asking that they be returned so the couple can get prints from them. Get help gathering folks together for the formal shots - you don't want to spend your time looking for Uncle Fred. Also get help setting up the formal shots, dealing with things like this:
Attached Images
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 9:23 PM   #8

Hi Alceve,

What equipment do you have???

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:00 AM   #9

Ya know....it is actually considered safer to walk the streets of Baghdad or anywhere in Afghanistan than it is to shoot a wedding.

Anyway...scout out all the locations in advance. Attend the rehearsal. Have back-ups for everything (bodies, lenses, everything). Wear comfortable and stretchy clothing. Get LOTS of sleep the night before. Talk to the Bride & Groom and find out exactly what they are expecting. Ensure that when it comes time for you to take pictures, that the Bride & Groom are able to give you, and do give to you, their undivided attention. Talk to the DJ about what the plan is for the reception. Most DJ's are willing to share this information and let you know when an important event is coming.

Did I mention to have a back-up for everything??
tygersclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:03 AM   #10

Dont forget the limo shot....
Attached Images
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote