Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:43 AM   #1

HI there all. Well I have a dsc100. I had a canon 800is, but returned it for this one. I have only used sony's , and wasn't comfortable with the controls on the canon. My question maybe an easy one for most of you, but I am clueless. I am a mom. I take most of my my pictures indoor. What setting do I use? I have no idea if I should have it on auto, or the P or what? I have read the manual but I just can't figure it out. I also have had the problem where I take a picture of my daughter, and the picture is clear, but she is not. I can't really zoom in on her too much? Am I not centering her? Or is it the setting? What setting for the best indoor and outdoor? I am so confused and feel like I am not smart enough about cameras to talk to some people on boards because I have no clue what they are talking about sometimes. Any help would be so great. Thanks in advance.. Jen
kayleezmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:31 AM   #2

I'm assuming that indoors the light is not too good (for a camera - what looks well lit for people can look rather dark for cameras) and you're not using flash?

The most likely problem if your daughter looks blurred and the background is clear is motion blur. Unless you get your daughter to sit and pose without moving at all, then on automatic settings you will probably get motion blur.

I'm not familiar with the Sony but a lot of cameras on automatic settings don't raise the ISO (sensitivity to light) a lot on their own, as generally for most models it is not very desirable, leading to more "noise" on the picture. You can check that and increase the ISO yourself, I assume - probably on P mode (again, not familiar with your camera but a lot of them don't let you change many settings on auto mode while you can make changes in P mode). The higher the ISO, the more sensitive to light the sensor and the faster shutter speed the camera can use in given light conditions.

Basically, if you don't want to use flash (which for most small cameras apart from the Fujis is really what one should do indoors, especially with moving subjects, in my opinion, as they're just not sensitive enough to work in less light), the way to decrease motion blur - to make your daughter appear clear in the picture - is to try and increase shutter speed.

As said above, you should probably try to increase the ISO for that, as that will help your camera use a faster shutter speed, "freezing" the motion better. The other thing is that looking at your camera's specs, it appears that as you zoom in, the maximum aperture gets smaller (the "f/x.x" number gets higher) - this means that less light can reach the sensor; this is common for compact cameras. So to let the camera use as much available light as possible (which also helps to keep the shutter speed higher), I'd advise not to use zoom if possible - indoors, it should be enough if you just take a few steps closer instead.

There's not much you can do really to get really good bright indoor pictures with the majority of compact cameras without flash, but you can see if you can try the above (especially changing the ISO and seeing if that makes any change). Just practice a bit with different settings and check on the computer which ISO still gives pictures that look good enough for you.

If you have been using flash, then I can only assume focusing problems as flash should allow for shutter speeds fast enough to prevent motion blur. However, with compact cameras my own experience has been that if the subject is out of focus (blurred), then the background/rest of the picture generally tends to be blurred too (unless something specific next to your daughter is clearly in focus).
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote