Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:29 PM   #1

I called Cameta Camera and for about $2100 I can get a brand new (factory sealed with 1 year USA warranty parts/labor) Nikon D200 + Nikon 18-70mm Lens + SB800 Flash + 4GIG Trenscend Card+Extra Battery + some other perks.

Cameta Camera says for $129 I can get 2 additional years of warranty through Nikon, or for $90 I can get an additional 4 years through the store. There was no pressure to sell, just a courteous offer.

IS THIS WORTH IT?? Should I consider extended service warranty at all??

BTW, I trust Cameta Camera (very reputable, ebay, resellers.com, bbb, etc)
photino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

It is almost *never* worth it.
This is a topic that comes up often, search for warranty.
The basic believe here is that stores wouldn't push warranties unless they were profitable to them. If many people used them, then they would loose money on them and stop offering them.

Now do people not take advantage of them beacuse the products are good and don't break much?
Do they not do it because the warranty contract is structured to be difficult to redeem?
Do they not do it because they forget?

The answer is "All of the above."

Many, many stores sell extended warranties - best buy, Computer City, radio shack and others. They all do it because it makes them money.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3

Thanks a lot Eric! I don't have much experience with upper end SLR cameras, but a lot of other electronic items I've bought never needed any warranty. They still work after many years! Besides, wouldn't problems show up in the first year anyway, which is covered by the manufaturer? Thanks again.
photino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:52 PM   #4

I agree with eric here, you are much better off with an insurance policy on your equipment than an extended warranty.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote