Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:32 PM   #1
Default Nikon CoolPix 2500 vs Canon A60

I'm currently researching possible cameras for my first digicam purchase. I'm in college so price is a big issue, but I still want to get the best for my money. The A60 appears to be a better purchase as far as features go, but the CoolPix is cheaper and it also comes with extras that I'd have to pay extra for on the A60(rechargable batteries, case, extra memory, etc.). Another major concern is picture quality. I want acceptable pictures in day and night lighting. Some reviews say the CoolPix is subpar with low light and action shots. Ability to shoot these two scenarios is crucial for my uses(night life and sporting events). Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions? If there's another (better) camera out there around the same price please let me know. Thanx.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2003, 1:38 AM   #2

I personally like the a60 for its lowlight assist illuminator, manual and automatic controls and the ability to take add-on lenses. The nikon will most likely perform well under lowlight, but the lack of an af assist illuminator will limit its abilities. I'd go with the canon.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:15 PM   #3

I personally got a Canon A60 and i am delighted....loads of manual controls....so you can make all the adjustments u like

good luck
2spyc is offline   Reply With Quote