Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:47 AM   #1
Default 1st Beginner/Advanced Camera?

Hi there,
I'm new to the world of digital photography, and to this forum.
To get straight to the point, I have been thinking about getting the Nikon Coolpix 2100, since it came out earlier this year.
The thing is, being a student, I am on a tight budget, and so I have to get my decision right.
In my eyes, the 2100 looks to be the safest bet to go with, I have read good reviews, seen good sample images etc.
But, I have heard of a few problems: battery cover being weak, battery problems. Are these true, or should they be a cause for concern.
Are there any other problems that I should know about?
I will use the camera for holidays, family stuff, and maybe some animals (fish), and countryside scenes (sunsets, hills, scenery etc.)
Is the 2100 good for this?
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
caramelcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:32 PM   #2

I have the 3100 which is the same as the 2100 except for the difference in pixels. This is an awesome little camera. I have not had any problems with the battery cover or the battery life. If I remember correctly, there are firmware upgrades that are supposed to take care of the battery problems.
I think you will love this little cam!! Good Luck
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 5:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the input.
Thinking about it last nght, I decided that I would be able to free up enough money to purchase a coolpix 885, because I like the idea of the manual options, should I (hopefully) get drawn into the photography hobby. I had a change of heart when I looked at the pictures that you guys had taken (particularly Kevin G's), I was inspired and thought about the amount of satisfaction I would get from taking such good pictures.
This made me decide to go for a higher MP rating, with the manual options.(I am fine with techno stuff so I should be OK).
Is the 885 a good camera for some wildlife shots as well as the everyday shots (family, holidays etc.)
Thanks for the input,
Kindest regards,
Old Jul 13, 2003, 10:56 AM   #4

nikon 885! Just remember that any 885 you buy will will be used!! nikon does not make this unit any more.but after saying that i also add that i own 2 of them and my wife and i still use them.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 8:43 AM   #5

Nikon 885 are still sold over here in the UK, but what you have said made me realise that they are a bit old, and may lack some of the quality found in newer cameras, so I am looking elsewhere.
I have come up with some other ideas (around same price), but a not sure about them. Can any one offer any advice on my ideas?
Here they are: Casio QV-4000 (if I could find the right price), Minolta DiMAGE F100, F414, S304.
I have based these ideas on the fact that I would like as many manual options as posssible, so I don't need to upgrade at a later date (I'm a Student I can't afford it.)
Also can anyone give me a date of when these cameras where first release, because as I mentioned, I don't want anything too outdated.
What is the performance of Minoltas and Casios like?
Also, I would like to take reasonable macros of flowers, insects -and not knowing much about cameras, am not sure what the minoltas 6" macro mode would allow me to capture.
Are there any other good all round, macro, auto and manual options cameras, around 3-4Mp?

Advice is appreciated, because I really need it in order to make the best decision & purchase possible.
Thanks in advance

P.s sorry if you get this questions everyday.
Old Jul 18, 2003, 4:10 PM   #6

If you're looking for manual controls you MAY want to also consider the Canon A70/A60.

More manual controls than you can shake a stick at.

All the pics on my foto site (see my sig) were taken with my A70.

Hope that helps/is of interest

stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:39 AM   #7

If you are looking for manual controls...as Stefan said.... the Canon a60/A70 series...is almost unlimited when it comes to manual combinations....and at a good price too
2spyc is offline   Reply With Quote