Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Jul 14, 2003, 2:35 PM   #1
Default Recommended all around file size and Image Quality?

We're pretty new to digital photography, (moved from Nikon N60 SLR to Dimage 7Hi). We're by no means 'serious' photophraphers, but the digital camera provides fast feedback for us to learn and hone our skills. Here's one question:

For "all around" shooting (read, kids, vacation, kids, landscape, kids, indoor shots, did I say kids?) what file size and image quality would you recommend.

BTW, we have two 512Mb cards for the 7Hi...
Us 5 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:19 PM   #2

THe highest resolution the camera offers and the best quality JPEG setting.

Why spend a bundle on a 5mpx camera if you're going to take 2mpx images with it?

fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:20 AM   #3

It really depends on what you want to do with the shots. For sharing via email with friends and family, you can shoot in a lower resolution to save space on your card.

For printing, I shoot in RAW mode. However, having said that, in reality, I rarely remember to switch from RAW mode.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 8:37 AM   #4

I agree with fenlander.

Lets look at it this way, what are you saving by not shooting at the best quality JPG? The picture will be faster to transfer into your computer. USB2 or firewire readers solve this problem (if your computer supports one of those.) It is slower to edit them because the pictures are larger. You could always resize the picture as the first thing you do. Also, you might not have enough ram in your computer... so add more its really cheap right now.

But the advantage is huge. A picture might come out really well.... you might want to print it out 6"x8" or even larger. Send it with every family Christmas present to show how your child has grown. If you limit the resolution used, then you loose flexibility. And what happens if you forget and take 2 dozen pictures of your child’s class play at the lowest resolution!

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 2:33 PM   #5

Ditto on the highest resolution! If you want a compromise, try the next highest JPEG compression to save a little space. If you aren't printing anything larger than an 8x10, this will save some space with an almost imperceptible loss in picture quality. For my camera, that's HQ vs SHQ. I know a lot of folks disagree, but that's my two cents' worth!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote