Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:33 PM   #11

VTphotog wrote:
You might look to see if Rawshooter Essentials is still available on the Pixmantec website. I think the last update they did would have included the D80. It is a pretty good RAW converter, with quite a bit of funcionality.

Thanks Brian but it doesn't look like it includes the D80. Didn't I see somewhere that updates are no longer available since they were bought by Adobe. Too bad, it looks like a nice piece of software.
scottdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:29 PM   #12

A lot of free image browsers and editors will work with raw files, too. Most just don't give you the same control over things like White Balance and Exposure that better known commercial converters do. But, you may want to give these a try to see if they do what you need.

Google Picasa

Irfanview (make sure to download the free plugins, too).

FastStone Image Viewer

UFRaw is probably the best free stand alone converter, although it's not as fast as some, and it you can also get a ufraw plugin for The GIMP

Or, you may even want to give Gimpshop a try. It's based on the GIMP, except that it's tool layout looks closer to Photoshop. Then, install the latest UFRaw plugin for it (any plug-in that works in the Gimp will alsowork in Gimpshop).. Scroll down on this page and you'll see a download link for the Windows version (it's free):

I'd also take a look at Eric Hyman's Bibble

BTW, Bibble can work as a stand alone or as a plugin to PS7 pr newer PS versions (even though the 3.x versions of Adobe Camera Raw that work with your camera won't, since they would require a newer version of Photoshop than your PS7).

Bibble is not free. But, you can download trial versions to see if you like it. Eric also offers a Light version of his products (for multiple operating systems, including Linux and Windows.

You could also upgrade PS7 to a newer version and use the latest Adobe Camera Raw (or get a newer version of Elements to use it).

Another route would be to install a Linux version and use some of the better tools in them. For example, I'm starting to like using digiKam for some images since I like the way it handles highlight recovery with the options I have setup.

Bibble is also available for Linux and you can run a number of Windows programs under Linux, too. Picasa is also available for Linux (although it's running using wine libraries).

Another product to look at is Krita (an image editor in KOffice, which is an office suite in KDE). The newer versions of Krita now support 16 bit editing, raw conversion, layers, color management and more.

Another product worth looking at is Lightzone. It's user interface takes some getting used to. But, it's starting to grow on me a bit.

The Windows and Mac version of it are $149.95 or $249.95, depending on the version:

But, they offer it free for Linux users. BTW, I've seen users report that it's the fastest browser they've found for raw files with Linux.

In a commercial (not free) product, Pixel supports color management with Linux and is an up and coming tool with 16 bit editing ability:

A lot of Linux users like Cinepaint for image editing. It's a GIMP "fork" (most code oritinally based on the Gimp). But, unlike the Gimp, it supports 16 bit editing.

A good way to do this is to use UFRaw for the raw conversion, color balancing and open the converted images using Cinepaint for any further tweaking desired (Unsharp Mask, etc.). It's free.

You can also get a number of Windows image editors to run under Linux via Wine (a free product that lets Windows apps run in Linux). . There are even dedicated sites to help you out with that part. Forget PS CS2 for now (although with a bit of tweaking, you can get earlier Photoshop versions to run OK with Linux under Wine).

I run products like Raw Shooter Essentials 2006 and the FastStone Image Viewer (both Windows products) in Linux via Wine. This site has more info on using Wine to run Windows apps (and many applications not in their lists run fine, too).

Another up and coming Graphics package that's free for Linux is Xara LX (recently renamed to Xara Extreme). It's pretty slick and powerful software and supports 16 bit edits (but, it doesn't have some of the tools that photographers may want yet).

There are many more out there. These are just some of them I've got installed on my PC.

I've got Windows XP Pro and more than one version of SimplyMEPIS installed on my PC.

If you want to try Linux, download the iso image (around 700mb) for the brand new SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Release Candidate 1 (it's free).

It can run from a CD (and that also lets you verify that it works with your hardware), and you can install it to a partition on your hard disk if you like it.

It runs slowly from a CD since it's trying to pack several GB of software into a 700MB CD, not to mention being limited by the speed of the drive. :-) But, it runs that way. It's fast from a hard disk install.

It has a built in partition manager (QTParted) that can resize your NTFS Partition (shrink it as desired) if you have free space left on it, and free up enough space to install it on your hard disk in another partition. Then, the SimplyMEPIS installer can install a boot manager (GRUB) that lets you pick which operating system to boot into when you reboot your PC (it automatically adds Windows to the boot menu).

If you decide to give it a try and decide to install it to your hard disk, I'll be happy to post links to more detailed instructions.

Here's a short review someone posted this morning:

Here's a link to a mirror that usually has the newest releases pretty fast. It's got the ISOs for SimplyMEPIS 6.5 RC1 now.

Here's a direct link to the ISO if you want the 32 bit release, which is what I run:

Just burn the iso to CD and boot into it to run from the CD (and there is also an install icon on the desktop for installing it to hard disk). The version of digiKam on it may not work with your D80 though. I've got links to a newer version. It's got the Gimp on it, too (but, I'm not sure if the UFRaw plugin is on the CD or not). You can get these plugins with a mouse click from a hard disk install of it.

If you need software to burn an iso file to CD, use the free edition of Deepburner.

The free version is the second download link on this page. After you start it, just use the Burn ISO menu choice in the menu that pops up when it loads. The, select the iso file you downloaded (it will have a browse button to browse any folders on your drive) and press the Start button to burn it to CD.

I can give you download links to newer version of digiKam and more if you decide to install it to hard disk after seeing the versions on the CD.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:50 PM   #13

Wow. Thanks a lot Jim. You didn't have to link all those but I really appreciate it. I will do some research and try a few of those. I will eventually be upgrading my PS7 to a newer version or possibly purchasing Lightroom. But, like I said in my original post I am trying to keep the cost to a minimum having just bought the camera and since I still need a few other accessories. I appreciate the help.

scottdg is offline   Reply With Quote