Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 19, 2007, 1:56 PM   #1

I have written a kind of "tutorial" for myself dealing with the histogram. My wife bought me a Canon PowerShot S3 for my birthday and it was the first time I was ever exposed to a histogram. I was so confused and challenged by it I decided to try and research as many forums and tutorials as I could find on-line. Now I feel I have a reasonable grasp of it, but of course there are always those areas around the outer edges of my knowledge that have some degree of uncertainty. In those areas I have taken my "best shot" at guessing the correct statements, and have expressed them rather strongly with the idea that they will therefore be as obvious as possible so as to either "pass" or "not pass" examination by an expert. Clearly, since they were guesses, my best shots may have gone wildly astray. If there are any forum readers who "know, and know that they know" about histograms who might like to read my tutorial and offer comments and/or corrections, I would be overjoyed to get your help and input. After the final draft gets everyone's approval, I'd be delighted to send a copy anyone who might also feel uncertainty about or be intimidated by the histogram. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Inside the Histogram.zip (52.1 KB, 298 views)
Argentbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2007, 9:32 AM   #2

Reading this tutorial on histograms was enlightening. While I thought I knew something about them in a basic way, I could not have explained it as well as Argentbleu (not nearly as well, in fact.) See if you agree.

Take a look and provide some feedback if you can or simply consolidate your knowledge and learn to use the statistical analysis your camera probably provides, or later your imaging software will. There is a better chance of being happy with the results if you look at the "statistics" in the camera first!
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:11 AM   #3

Hi Argentbleu

Having only ever tinkled with histohrams I will read your findings and hope i get better 'clued in' to the wonders of technology, thanks for the time and effort :-)
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote