Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Newbie Help

Old May 23, 2007, 5:05 PM   #1

I took some photos back on easter on my kodak 64mb SD card. I tried to upload them today and they were corrupted or incomplete or something. I viewed them in the camera the other day and they were fine.

Is there any way to fix it or did I lose our easter shots??
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2007, 6:07 PM   #2

There are a number of popular utilities designed to recover images that you could try. There is no guarantee that the files are not actually corrupted though. Just because the thumbnails look OK, doesn't mean the images themselves are not corrupted (the thumbnail is stored separately in the jpeg files). With a bit of luck, only the FAT (File Allocation Table) was corrupted and not the actual images.

Have you got a card reader? If so, that's your best bet for seeing if you can get them back.

One utility to try is Digital Image Recovery (it's free).

You can download it using this link, unzip it and run it.

Make note of the drive letter you see when the card is inserted in a reader (you'll find it under "My Computer"). Then, load this program and select your desired language (English is one of them).

Give it the drive letter for the card reader, select a folder on your PC to save the recovered images to, leave everything else at default settings, and press Start. Your photos will be saved to the folder you select.

Here's another popular Utility you can try:

Another choice is a free open source program called photorec. It's a command line utility (no graphical user interface). It's designed to work with severely corrupted file systems by looking for header information specific to many image types in order to try and reconstruct them. It works with over 80 different file types now (including most popular image formats). You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the page.

If for some reason these won't find them, here's a commercial program designed to do the same thing (not free). You can download a demo version to see if it works before buying it.

After recovering what you can from the card, make sure to format it again in the camera (using the camera's menu choice for format) before using it again. The FAT is probably corrupted.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote